Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have a 1970 chevelle malibu and when trying to start the car there is no spark as soon as you turn the key back to the off position the motor tries to fire and sometimes runs for a few seconds. ? help im boggled what can this be [email protected] thank you
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Copo,
There is a wire from the starter to the coil that feeds full battery voltage to the coil when the switch is in the "start" position. If this wire is broken, you will get the symptom you are describing. I am pretty sure the wire is yellow. It should have full battery voltage when the key is in the start position. If I rememnber correctly, the starter solonoid might also cause the problem ? Get out your wiring diagram and you will see what I am referring to.
Hope this helps,

·
Gold Founding Member
63,027 Posts
{edit} oops, Bill beat me by one minute

Try running a jumper from the coil's + terminal to the battery positive and see if it starts.

OR

Measure the voltage on the coil's + terminal with the key on and not cranking and again while cranking.

I'm assuming you have the original type distributor.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a mallory unilite with a msd 6 a box and a promaster coil.. there is one fat wire going to the s terminal on selinoidand a smaller one on the ignition side and thats it neither are yellow. it will start when i jump to the battery but would like it to work properly . i have no diagram for the 1970 chevelle wish i did

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wire going to the s terminal is like 10 gauge and the wire going to the i terminal is like 14 gauge the s terminal is purple and the i terminal is white no yellow wire

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well the problem turned out to be the msd box have used msd before and always a problem .. so its simple msd makes junk

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok correction msd box not at fault john you are right the ignition switch at the bottom of colum was really bad .. thanks much to all who tried to help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts