Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 malibu that originally came with a 350 (nothing special). I'm assuming that I have low amp 3 wire alt. now and want to upgrade to a 94 amp 12si 3 wire alt. Can I simply go out and buy the 12si and bolt it on? How do I know if my current setup has an internal or external voltage regulator? I know the 12si is internal, knowing my luck I have the external and will need to rewire half the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, it doesn't look as bad as what I thought. But I still need to know how to determine if I currently have an internal or external voltage regulator? Also how can I test my current alternator to see how much current it's putting out?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by rednecks70:
Thanks for the link, it doesn't look as bad as what I thought. But I still need to know how to determine if I currently have an internal or external voltage regulator?
Look at the second picture in this link where it shows the wire connector. See which way the connector pin blades go?? Like this (--). That's an internally regulated alternator. If you have an externally regulated alternator the pin blades go the other way (II) so the harness wire connector doesn't fit both types.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

1 - 4 of 4 Posts