Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 1969 chevelle thinking about putting Drop Spindles on the front with 12" Disc Brakes. What I want is to put 18 x 7.5 (+34 OFFSET) for the front. Will that work with this set up and what size tire could I run? For the rear the rims I want come in 20" wheels =
20 x 8.5with a choice of OFFSET in +15 & +34
Will this set up work on a stock suspension 1969 Chevelle? and what size Tires would u run. Please I need Help :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Hey I have a 1969 chevelle thinking about putting Drop Spindles on the front with 12" Disc Brakes. What I want is to put 18 x 7.5 (+34 OFFSET) for the front. Will that work with this set up and what size tire could I run? For the rear the rims I want come in 20" wheels =
20 x 8.5with a choice of OFFSET in +15 & +34
Will this set up work on a stock suspension 1969 Chevelle? and what size Tires would u run. Please I need Help :confused:
Seems like this question was just answered a short while ago. Not sure you want those front wheels on your car. Here's why: zero offset on a 7.5" wide wheel is approx 4.25" backspacing. +34mm offset increases that backspacing to over 5.5". That's normally the backspacing needed to run a 9.5" wide front wheel,not a 7.5". What does that mean? It means those 18x7.5's you want to run will be tucked way in the fenders and will probably look a little strange.
Those 20x8.5's with a +15mm offset will work fine on either end.
As for tires,I would run 235's on the 7.5" width and a 265 on the 8.5" width,,maybe a 275 but nothing wider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Coy's 20"x8.5" on rear. Not sure of offset, but the tires are 255/35/20 and have absolutely no clearance problems. I probably have 1.5 to 2" on either side of tire to fender and fender well gap. I am going to a bigger tire like a 275/45 or 50 next b/c the 35's look a little rubberbandish... i have 18"x7" in the front and 225/35 tires and can turn the wheel to the max right or left and still not rub. these really look like rubberbands though and will be upsizing soon. My only concern is when i go to a bigger tire and the BBC hooks up, is the bigger wheel/tire setup gonna create problems with the gear ratio and cause too much strain on the drivetrain??? Any thoughts???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have a 69 Chevelle with a Ford 9". I'm looking to put a 20x10 wheel on the rear and need the correct backspacing. :confused:
Since no Chevelles came with 9" Ford rears, your only option is to measure yours. Suggest you get a wheel and tire, measure the back space, place it on the car, and eyeball how it fits in the wheel well. Then you should be able to make an educated guess at the back spacing needed. Also note, 20's are very hard to pull off and look right, most of us would tell you no bigger than 18's, but it's your car.
HTH, Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts