Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 64 chevelle with 14's on it. i want to put 15's but do not know what size will fit and what size tire i can run without rubbing. hopefully as big as 255/60-15. any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
bed64,
my 64SS has P245/60R/15 goodyear on rear and P215/65R/15 on front.it used to have p225/60r/15 on front,when they wore down I felt they were a little to wide,and opted for narrower tires.goodyear stopped making the "eagle one" that size anyway.the rear tires are the max width I feel cause they are a real pain to get on and off due to fender clearence.but they dont rub anywhere. the rims are aluminum mags that measure 8" outside overall width,not sure what the offset is.good luck with your project Tony

------------------

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have converted my 64ss to disks using just bolt up parts. This changed the wheel/tire combo I could use. As a result, I have just installed Cragar SS 15x7 with 4 1/2" backspace all around for my rims. We worked out all the sway factors and diff travel and figured that 235/60x15 in the rear would work (tight fit and a pain on tire removal)but 205/60x15 in front. You might consider giving yourself a bit of room and go with 225/60x15's in the rear. I went with Michelin's Predator GTS tires and it looks terrific! (I don't think you can get those tires in the States). One thing to keep in mind, your diff travel and frontend movement is directly proportional to how tight your suspension is setup and if you are running new bushings etc... I have completely replaced all "my bits" and it's pretty darned tight. Also, depending on where you drive, straight lines versus rolling hills with a lot of twists and curves. If you'll be driving (pushing it) in twists & turns etc... then you might be better off the slightly smaller tire for clearance purposes.

------------------
The proud owner of a Hot Canadian 64-SS.
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Chevelle Tech Gold Member

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Bed,
My 65 has a disc brake conversion on front, 15X7 Cragars w/4-1/2" backspace all around, and 215-65-15 T.A.'s. We tried wider tires on the back but they would be a pain to change a flat so I settled for the above combo.
mgg

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
bed64 - I have a 65 Chevelle and I currently run 275/60R 15s on the back. They are a tight fit and they would be a bear to change, but the wheel well is VERY full and they don't rub. The wheels are the standard 7" rims with 4 1/2" offset. I believe they are off a Monte Carlo. I don't think you can go any bigger without shaving the lip on the wheel well. If you shave the lip, you can go 295/60R 15. Good Luck! - Jeff

·
Premium Member
17,564 Posts
I have a '66 Chevelle, so I don't know how different they are underneath. I fit a 295/50/15 BFG with no cutting. I did order a custom offset for my 15"X8" rallys from Wheel Vintiques in California. I measured the frame and the rear (drum-to-drum) and then ordered the wheels. I think they were only about $65 apiece or so. Not much more than at a swap meet, and they are new and they fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.