Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone can probably help me out here. I have been looking for an orignal '70 4.10 posi to bring my baby back to factory. It currently has a 12 bolt peg leg of unknown origin. It feels like a low 3 or high 2.

Since I can't find an original '70 4.10 posi, and don't want to pay a fortune, can I convert my current rear to a 4.10 posi for a fairly reasonable amount?

The car is only a Sunday driver, but I would like the feel of what it was like originally. The current rear has no distinguishable markings.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Steve, The rear has the info about the rear on the pass. side of the axle tube (build date & ratio) in numbers and letters and then put them in the Tag Team forum and find out the build date and ratio. If you do set up the rear for a 4.10 posi get a person that knows what they are doing because if the gear is not setup right it will howl and cause problems.
IMHO Putting a gear and carrier into your existing rear will probably be cheaper than a correctly dated rearend. but you can keep looking and maybe get lucky and find one at a great price. Good luck

------------------
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
Team Chevelle # 1143

[This message has been edited by Nate (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
steve, i posted a question in drivetrain about my rearend in my chevelle. BigGearHead replied and told me to e-mail him about this, i have not had the chance yet but i will. check his profile and send an e-mail with your question he seems very knowledgable with rearends.hope this helps.JIMK

[This message has been edited by JIMK (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
28,597 Posts
My 4 speed 70 SS396 had 3.31's in it and I had it converted to 4.10's.About 6 years ago,I bought a new posi carrier,gears,and an install kit from Jegs.Paid the local rearend guru $200 for labor and just picked my car up when it was done.My axles where fine.Total was about $765 or so.And,the rearend,6 years later, still works mint.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your info. I have been looking really hard and all I found was some used 69 KK 4.10 posi's that were all priced around the $1000 mark. I figure if I can't have at least a '70 what does it matter?

By the way I noticed that my subscription has lapsed (I haven't been here in a while), this reminded me to renew. Thanks!

------------------
1970 LS6

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Here is something for everyone who is thinking about putting in 4.10 gears to consider. If you use a 3 series posi and the thick gear set, then you can put in a 3 series gear later without having to buy a new posi, if you get tired of the 4.10.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
427 4 speed 9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drivetrain Parts & Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Get tired of the 4:10's?????????? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MMUUUUUUUUHOOOOOHAHAHAHA HA HA HA!!!!!!

------------------
71 Malibu 454/4speed
www.geocities.com/chevnt1_chevelle/

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Jblack
I will tell you how to tire from your 4:10's. I had to go to Prince Rupert for 3 months for the company I work for. The ferry to Prince Rupert leaves about 1000 feet from my front door. But when I went had to come home, I could not get back on the ferry for 3 weeks! Only option? To drive all the way from northern British Columbia, down to Vancouver, and back up Vancouver Island! Over $500.00 in gas and 3 days at 12 hours a day at 55 mph! 90-100 degree temperatures and no A/C! I just love them around town but never a trip like that one again! They are outa there!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Well the gear change can't go on the expense account but the gas, and two oil changes did! That or I could have stayed til I could get on the ferry, and charged the boss for hotels, meals, wages, prostit oops!

[This message has been edited by bcice (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Steve I have a set of 4:10 gears for a 3 series posi. that I took out and replaced with 3:55s because of what bcice was saying.Just to much for me with all the traveling I do. They are in good shape and I would give them to you for just the price of shipping if you want them.

------------------
CFR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.