Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
LS_5 said:
Any update from George on timing? Still late this year?

Thanks, Wally!

Andy
Good idea, I'll bug George on Monday and find out where he is.

W

·
0 Posts
LS_5 said:
Any update from George on timing? Still late this year?

Thanks, Wally!

Andy
No movement on the Muncie 5 speed. Since George scrapped the one shifter design he is sort of stuck. So untill that is resolved if you are waiting to make a move in this direction, get in touch with jmort, one of our members, he is a dealer for http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/ and he can tell you the ins and outs of these swaps.

I just wish they did not require the floor to be cut but the trans is much larger than a Muncie.

I never thought I would say some of these things!!!!!!

I should get a commision!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Holy Cow, the planet must all be in alignment....or maybe way out of alignment :D :D
Wally, what have you been drinking today? By the "tone" of that last reply, I assume that it is a long way out for the final, large scale release of this product.
I understand what you are saying though. I cringed when I cut that tunnel. No looking back now.

W

·
0 Posts
Epistuff said:
Holy Cow, the planet must all be in alignment....or maybe way out of alignment :D :D
Wally, what have you been drinking today? By the "tone" of that last reply, I assume that it is a long way out for the final, large scale release of this product.
I understand what you are saying though. I cringed when I cut that tunnel. No looking back now.
Maybe I should start selling the TKO transmissions. I have the room in my shop to do conversions now so what the heck. I like working on the cars, and it beats the hell out of a real job.

Just thinking out loud.

I alo like suspension work, making the cars work.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
wally that sounds like a good idea. if i lived closer id give ya a hand on doing conversions and all. but your only like a 4hour ride south of me. :)

aaron

·
Super Moderator
12,722 Posts
I dont understand why more of you guys dont take a look at the Richmond / Doug Nash 5 speed. It serves the same purpose as the Tremec etc. Only thing is you will have to stay with a lower numerical rear end gear. I figure with a 3.08 rear, you will be very close to having a M20 with about a 4.56 rear. If you go with a 3.30 rear, you will be the same as a M20 with a 4.90 rear or a M21 with a 4.30 rear. High gear is direct drive so whatever rear you go with, I am pretty sure I am going to use the 3.30, whatever gear you have in the rear is what you have in high gear ... drive anywhere at low rpms. Best of both worlds ... use the first 4 gears for the track, then slide it into fifth and drive a thousand miles. Plus .. a one to one high gear is more efficient than an od gear.
And ... I dont think I will have to do any cutting for the "Nash" .. will be finding out soon.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
BillK said:
I dont understand why more of you guys dont take a look at the Richmond / Doug Nash 5 speed.
Bill,

I did look and consider both the Richmond/Nash 5 and ROD 6 speeds when doing my tranny swap a few years back. What sold me on the TKO was the shift feel; the feel of the Nash/Richmond 5 isn't in the same league as the TKO or any of the modern trannies that are popular swaps. That's what made my decision, as when I was doing my stick swap I was offered a new in box Nash 5 speed at a *very* attractive price. Before spending any money, I drove a friend's car with a TKO, then I drove another friends car with a Richmond 5... and I decided to spend the extra bucks and cut a big hole in my floor for the TKO. The difference was amazing. Not that the Richmond/Nash was horrible as far as shift feel (go drive a T-10, and that's pretty much what it's like), it's just the TKO's shift feel is far, far better.

What really sealed the deal is right about the time I was ready to buy my tranny I had two friends battling with Richmond over their ROD 6-speeds (basically the same tranny as the 5 speeds plus one gear)-- namely syncros taking a dump in under 200 miles (even after being replaced under warranty. Bellhousings were concentric and parallel, no clutch release problems, etc.) Another friend had horribly sloppy tailshaft bushings (>.025 of slop with a NEW yoke) that Richmond says was "in spec" even after they exchanged his tranny 3 times, leaky case halves, etc. On top of that they were treated badly by Richmond when it came time for warranty work. One guy sold his tranny after having the syncros replaced twice in under 1000 miles, and the other guy with the sloppy tailshaft finally got Richmond to buy his tranny back. Both guys ended up buying T56's and couldn't be happier.

I'm not lumping all the Nash / Richmond trannies into the same category, but they seem to be problematic lately and Richmond doesn't want to make good on them or admit there's a problem. It does seem though that the ROD 6-speeds suffer from more problems than the 5-speeds. I do know several other guys with older Nash 5-speeds (mostly in Vettes) that are happy with them and haven't had any glitches. When they work, they're a good tranny, but they just can't match the shift feel of the newer internal rail shifted trannies with integral shifter towers. I can't see paying the prices they're asking when you can get a much better shifting and more modern design tranny for about the same amount of money even though you have to slice and dice the floorpan. Now if you were offered a screaming deal on a good used Nash/Richmond, then it's a different matter entirely, but I personally wouldn't pay the prices they ask for a new one.

No offense intended, just laying out my thought process and experiences with why I didn't go with the Nash/Richmond boxes.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
BillK said:
I dont understand why more of you guys dont take a look at the Richmond / Doug Nash 5 speed. It serves the same purpose as the Tremec etc. Only thing is you will have to stay with a lower numerical rear end gear.
For me, you just answered the question right there. With the Richmond box you have to also change rear gears and possibly carriers to get the same highway RPMs as you get with the TKOs.

I have no doubt that I can do the TKO tunnel mods myself, might take some time but not a big stretch. The gears for the Richmond, well I could probaby do those but would probably be better off having somebody else do it.

In the end I think the TKO becomes cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wally said:
No movement on the Muncie 5 speed. Since George scrapped the one shifter design he is sort of stuck. So untill that is resolved if you are waiting to make a move in this direction, get in touch with jmort, one of our members, he is a dealer for http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/ and he can tell you the ins and outs of these swaps.

I just wish they did not require the floor to be cut but the trans is much larger than a Muncie.

I never thought I would say some of these things!!!!!!

I should get a commision!!!!

That's too bad. I was hoping for some better news, but I really appreciate your checking with him! Thanks!!

I just can't get over the mental hurdle of cutting the brand new metal that's in there now. Guess I'll have to wait it out until either George is successful in getting it worked out, or I get tired of 3000 rpm's on the interstate and $2.40+ /gallon!!

Thanks again, Wally!

Andy

W

·
0 Posts
There is another option, they make a OD gear set that fits in the standard case. So you end up with a 3 speed plus OD.

The OD ratio is .87 and it's cheap if you start with a M21. The weird part is the OD gear is in the 3rd gear position. So, you flip the 3/4 shift arm down and make a new rod for 3/4.

Hard to get your head around this but the reason for putting the gear there is space in the case for the gear. It's also a bear to assemble, very different than a standard Muncie.

So if you have a 4.10 gear it will be a 3.56 in OD. Not as good as some of the newer transmissions but hey, it's less than $500 dollars!!

·
Super Moderator
15,920 Posts
This news really disappoints me. Is there any problem with just doing an external shifter and being done with it?

Looks like a Tremec is in my future then. Wally, let me know if you start dealing in the Tremecs.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Gokou said:
Bill,

No offense intended, just laying out my thought process and experiences with why I didn't go with the Nash/Richmond boxes.
Fantastic comments, thank-you! I would never have had the opportunity to compare....

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Bow_Tied said:
Fantastic comments, thank-you! I would never have had the opportunity to compare....
100% true. I lost an extension housing bushing on my ROD 6-speed at 350 miles in spite of liberally lubricating it, the seal and the slip yoke on my new Denny's aluminum driveshaft during installation. I called Richmond and was paid Lip Service by them. They did nothing but point the finger at me and say this was the first one they've heard of. I found many others with similar problems also! Then there was the issue of "Particulate Contamination" in both bottles of the Richmond synthetic manual gear oil I bought. I sent one of the empty bottles with the contamination/sediment to them and have heard nothing back from them even after calling the same tech back several times. I flushed the tranny and used Amsoil synthetic and everything is good now.

But, as Gokou said, the shifting is a bit "notchy" especially when compared to the T56. I for one will never buy or recommend Richmond transmissions to anyone unless their customer support and quality improve. I'm sure they have lots of satisfied customers, I'm not one. I'd say "that's my two cents worth" but it's more like my $3000.00+ dollars worth.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
i thought about a richmond 5 speed, but wasnt sure if the tunnel needed cutting where the shift levers go(no big deal) the main reason i went with a tko600 was i favored having a lower rrear in the rear, seems like it would not be as hard on, say, a set of 3:08's trying to turn the rear wheels-i went with a .8 5th gear instead of a .6 because i didnt want it luggin in 5th with the cam setup-i prob would have been happy with a richmond, just the way i went

·
Super Moderator
12,722 Posts
gokou,
Absolutely no offense taken, I am to learn just like everyone else. To be honest with you I read your entire post with much interest and did not even notice the last sentence, did not even think it was needed. One of the great things about this site is being able to exchange information. Your opinion is as valued as anyone elses.

I don't know a thing about the Richmond 6 speeds, only know a few guys using the 5 Speed and they are very happy with it. I have had a M20 in my car ever since I broke the original 3 speed at about 1000 miles back in 1971. I have one customer than has a Richmond 5 speed in a Cevy Van with a 406. Drag race only vehicle .... it runs mid to low tens's ! The only thing that he warned me of is that the shifter adjustment is very critical and that the Hurst shifter seems to work better than the Long under race conditions. I guess I am going to find out. I already have the Richmond 5 speed and the Hurst shifter. Still have not made a clutch decision yet. If the funds are there, I would love to have the McLeod street twin. It looks like it will probably be fall at the earliest before I get the thing back on the road, will let everyone know then.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Why not overdrive the Richmond road race 5-speed??? Thats what I'm in the process of doing... You have to use the optional main drive set, then you end up with a 2.77-1st, 1.88-2nd, 1.36-3rd, 1.00-4th, .84-O.D... When I bought out a road race teams complete Doug Nash 5-speed trans package and all the spares, I have all the parts to build one... But all the parts needed are in the Richmond catalog...Crash

1 - 20 of 72 Posts