Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is a better head, the vortec of the fuelie? i want to spend the least amount of my hard earned cash as possible. the vortecs are cheaper, but you have to do additional machining to them that you dont have to do to the others. thanks for the input guys

G

·
Vortec good, fuelie bad! You need to spend some serious dough to get them to work as good as the stock Vortec head.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
1967 Malibu, 2nd owner.
1971 Malibu, been in the family since new.
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Ditto. yeah.....what he said! Wally da man!
Seriously. The Vortecs are best thing to come along for small blocks since.......ah,......I'm thinking...........can't think of anything better for a street/strip SBC

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yet another vortec fan here. Just put a pair on my friends '68 camaro.
It's a Goodwrench shortblock with vortecs, a COMP XE268, performer rpm, and holley 750. We're getting it dynoed tomorrow afternoon at 1pm, so I'll let you know how it goes.
But I can tell you that that motor, with a Muncie behind it is a blast to drive around town!

-Matt

------------------
TC Member #1434
1971 Malibu 350/TH350 (383/200-4R/12bolt in the works)
"It's not how much blood and sweat it took to get there, it's whether or not you have what it takes to finish it."
CAR
ENGINE (in car)
NEW 383(soon to be in car)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Add my name to the list...gotta love those Vortecs.
Last summer put together a vortec headed SB for my Camaro. Bottom end torque is awesome! Car 60' times are 1.81; 13.5 @101...on street tires.

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'67 El Camino "SS"
'80 Camaro RS Vortec
'68 Corvette L-79

'67 El Rat
'80 Camaro RS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, now can someone tell me where i can buy a set of vortec heads that allready have the spring pockets and valve guides machined? i wouldn't trust most of these local machinists with a glass of water, much less $500 worth of cylinder heads.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also like the Vortecs but... It's not like they'll bolt-on and be ready to go. You may have to spend $ on the fuelie heads to get them up to snuff, but you have to spend $$ on a new intake for the Vortecs. Maybe you already knew that, but it hadn't been mentioned yet.

------------------
Mike A.
North Vernon, IN
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about the Trick Flow 23 degree head? I know they are twice as much (around $1000) but have CNC chambers, are made of aluminum, and have all the good performance items on them (screw-in studs, guideplates, springs good to .520) not to mention thicker decks. Oh well, i guess i gave away where my heart lies.

Oh yeah, goto www.sdpc2000.com they have Vortec Heads with Screw-in studs and big springs (I think guidepates too) for around $600 ready to go.

[This message has been edited by mrls199 (edited 01-22-2002).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't look like a bargain to me.

------------------
Mike A.
North Vernon, IN
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status