Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent CHP article, they published an article on a 305 carburated build up. In it, they used the Vortec L31 heads and they helped tons. But, they said in order to put those heads on, it required a new manifold. How does this combo work with a 305 TPI? What problems would I run in to? Any other suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
i dont think this board deal with fuel injected motors, CHEVELLES..

But i think i can help you out. The intake would need to be replaced , edelbrock makes a performer RPM intake that will work for it i think. call them and ask but im pretty sure,

Aslo go to www.thirdgen.org to find out lots more about 82-92 F-Bods and TPI.

Later, Todd

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
The vortec heads use a completely different bolt pattern than earlier small block heads (even post-87 heads). There are only a few aftermarket intakes available for the vortec and I believe they are all for carburetors. Nothing for a TPI, yet. The bolt pattern is the stumbling block. Although with enough determination any intake could be modified. You might call the manufacturers to find out if someone is working on one.
rick schaefer
72 el camino w/TPI

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Hello,

Just before Christmas I was at my local Chev Dealersip having some work done to my burb. One of the mechanics is friend and introduced me to another mechanic there who had a Vortec motor out of a 97 Tahoe for sale. I bought it pretty much complete (S.F.I. and all). We got to talking about the vortec heads and they told me that any machine shop could drill and tap the heads to mate up to a typical SBC intake. The area they told me to look out for was exhaust manifolds you would need vortec emanifolds or aftermarket headers Hope my .02 helps.
Jeff A.
ACES #841

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have redrilled the intake bolt pattern in the head with no problems plus I used stock headers with no problems.I didn't have to buy anything special for the vortec heads and they will make a significant difference in performance.There is plenty of metal to redrill these heads.GM was thinking ahead because they left the intake flange thicker where the old style intake bolts up.

If you think about it most mags will not tell you to redrill the heads because it would make they're advertisers mad for not selling/promoting they're new expensive intake manifold.
------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

[This message has been edited by 67ss (edited 03-08-99).]

[This message has been edited by 67ss (edited 03-08-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.