Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting an 87 MC SS. I've been told that it needs valve seals. I was wondering if it might be better in the long run to just replace the heads with a set of the Vortecs seeing as how the price is so reasonable. Anybody have any experience here?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Greg, The vortec heads are for the 350 engine with combustion chamber size to match. The 350 has a 4 inch bore and the 305 has a 3 3/4 inch bore. You will lose compression ratio big time. The valve stem seal replacement job is not a really difficult job and if you are good with tools you could do it yourself with the proper tools, if not talk to your local machine shop operator. That of course will mean disassembly, much more of a job than valve stem seals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The combustion chambers of your 305 are around 58 cc and I think the Vortecs are 64 cc so compression would drop, you could off set this by runing a thin head gasket or surface the heads or both.

The standard bore of a 305 is actually 3.736 not 3.750, but close.

The thing to be carefull about with the little 305 is you do NOT want the intake valve to strike the cylinder wall. And if the valve gets too close to the cylinder wall you get into what is called valve shrouding, that is the flow of air flow around the valve gets pinched off by the cylinder wall.

So big valves on a small bore have inherent problems. Some say the canted valves in the Trick Flow heads work and World products makes a head for the 305 that addresses this problem.

If you do run the Vortecs please let us know how they work. No doubt about it they are very good for the $.

John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Greg check out this Monte site:
www.ntcnet.com/~dragon64/Monte_SS.html

It shows you in stages, "how to build up" on the L69 305. It's all emissions legal, they
show the Trick Flow Speciaties Twisted Wedge
head,(fully smog legal), and add's roughly
50+ hp out of the box to your L69. It's not specific to the 305 but the narrow heart shaped combustion chambers and modified valve angles will clear the walls of the smaller
305 cylinders. As mentioned by jholp the L69 has 58cc combustion chambers to the 64cc of the TFS head. Check it out as I would be only quoting the build up word for word.
As a side note Greg, keep in mind that as time marches on, say 5 to 10 years from now,
these last rear wheel drive full frame
derivitives of the A body, 83 to 88 Monte SS's will become (in my opinion) classics. They might even be the Chevelles of the 80's
and clean, original cars will be sought after
more than modified ones.(Where has this played it's self out before?)Keep original parts for future "use".
Thanks
Joe B

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
First off I thought I'd make Joe's link clickable: www.ntcnet.com/~dragon64/Monte_SS.html
I'd also like to state that I fully agree with Joe seeing these 80's montes becoming classics in the near future. I'm also seeing the rear wheel big motor 94-96 impalas destined for the term classic.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for doing that Steve, being from the old school I haven't fully mastered this cyber stuff just yet!

Thanks....JoeB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all. I think I'll just drive it as is. That is until I get around to dropping a carbureated LT1 motor in it. Should be the ultimate stealth weapon.

Also, guess I got lucky cause mine is an Aerocoupe!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Chevy also put the vortec heads on the 305 in the 96-98 trucks too.They should work fine.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Greg,

If you do modify that Monte, be sure to save the original parts if you can. They are already starting to hold a fairly solid value. I have a black 87 non a-cpe. (hey you gotta have a commuter car
. Good luck with your mods. And watch out for the EPA.....

Jeff A.(ACES#841)
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 SS Monte (work car)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.