Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what guys are using with stock vortec heads? I read the sticky over on nasty z28. It seems everyone advertises these things are good to .480 lift but the sticky says .460 So are all the ads wrong? or is the .460 just being conservative? thanks jim

G

·
I'd hunt up someplace that sell's class lift-limited roundy-round cheater cams and pick out a mild one that's right at .450" lift and not worry about any lift limits the Vortec's have. But I would then install correct valve springs on them for the cam I picked.

And I do figure that no more than Elgin's Z-28 type or their .600" lift Z-28 type springs should do fine for a milder cam, imho.

But I'm chea--, er, eh, "frugal", He, He!!

Plus pin the studs too.

Check Midwest Motorsports for springs and Powerhouse's pdf, e-cat about half-way down through it for stock Vortec type 1.6 ratio rockers, I wanna say roller-tips? For less than a "C"-note.

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
it varies head to head, some are only good to .460" and others can take over .480" stock. THe stock springs are pretty weak and should be replaced. don't worry about pinning the studs or installing screw ins as it's a waste of money on vortecs.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Paul brings up a VERY valid point .....I seen several pair of stock vortec's pull the rocker studs !!!... Pin them !! or better yet cut the seats & install screwed in studs !!! then you can run BIG cam & Springs without worries !!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm using screw in studs,guide plates and unguided roller rockers,they have the "Z-28" springs,and a little work to the valve guide and/or spring pocket I think.The first cam was a Comp XE 268 with 1.6 rockers,.502/.510 lift if I remember correctly,the current cam is 282S and the 1.6 rockers wouldn't work,it got into coil bind.I think it's .494 lift with the 1.5s.

·
Registered
14,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the heads have Z28 springs in them I bought a set of LT4 springs, on one head they dropped right on. but the other head the spring seat isnt opened as wide. So I bought Z28 springs. jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts