Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, Just wondering if anyone has any idea whether or not the Vortec 5.3 L engine will bolt up to a Muncie M-21 4 speed. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your assistance. Steve.

------------------
Steve
1965 Chevelle Malibu convertible, 327 4 speed.
1969 Dodge Super Bee, 383 4 speed.
"No, he didn't slam into you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he "rubbed" you. And rubbing, son, is racing".

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
I have not had an opportunity to look at the rear of these blocks, but, if the flange for mounting the bell housing is the same, then yes, it will fit by using one of the earlier bell housings. If the flange for the bell housing is different, then you will first need a compatable bell housing, because the tranny bolts to the bell housing, NOT the engine.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't know for sure, but the one-piece rear main seal might require a special flywheel.

I know that they require a different flexplate than two-piece rear main seal engines.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe the Vortec 5.3L engines are completely different creatures than other small blocks. The only similar feature is the bore spacing, beyond that they are vastly different. Have not heard of anyone fitting an older tranny to these. Perhaps someone has an adaptor tho, you never know.

------------------
1969 Caprice 4400LBS!!
454/M-20
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105
323HP @ 5200RPM
382lb-ft @ 3300RPM at the wheels!
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

·
Registered
961 Posts
I know for sure that the T-56 trans for the LS1 Camaro is completley different than the the older ones. Since block designs are the same. I really doubt it will bolt up.

Later
Steve

G

·
Steve,
I work in a GM dealership and I have had the transmission out of several pick-ups using this engine.
The bellhousing bolt pattern is identical to older small blocks, with one exception.
The very top bellhousing bolt is used(like
it was way back when),but, the bolt just to the right of it is not.
If I remember correctly, this hole is drilled in the block.
You might want to check input shaft length though.
Thought of something else, make sure the bellhousing will clear the new design oil pan.
Hope this helped,
Mike

------------------
Mike Wilson
'67 SS396
ground-up resto started,
will it ever be finished?
Sidney,NE

[This message has been edited by Mike67 (edited 01-16-2002).]

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was thinking that the 5.3 was more like the zz4, but now that I think about it is basicially a de-stroked LS-1.

I read an article a while back that stated the differences. seems like the trans input shafts needed are different, as well as a different starter and starter location.

You might try doing a search or posting at LS1.com to see if anyone has done a muncie to LS-1.

you might also consider going with a t-56.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.