Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Voodoo 60203 items from Summit, Yay!:) ( I went with a Hyd. F/T instead of a roller as I just couldn't justify the cost difference. )

I was checking make sure nothing was damaged, and the valve springs have an inner spring. Are these springs required, and if so are they only run after cam break-in?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I run these with my 60203, got them from Summit.

LUN-73815 - Valve Springs, Single, 1.500 in. Outside Diameter, 337 lbs./in. Rate, 1.100 in. Coil Bind Height.

They are a single spring setup and the Lunati recommended springs.​

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
yes the inner springs are required to stave off valve float above 5000rpm
for cam break in it's a good idea to break in with only the outer springs & then install the inners.
I am running the same cam in my 454 & am only running single springs because at first Lunati said a single spring was fine but later on they changed to the double spring.
I have had no problems since I don't wind it up past 5000 rpms.

hey how did the restore do in your truck?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Call Lunati tech support and ask them which springs to run. The 73815's used to be the suggested springs but Lunati then changed to a double and a different part number. Lunati never got around to changing the spring part number on their cam cards for a few month.

I would call the tech support and confirm which part number springs to run.

I had this problem with the wrong single spring that Lunati suggested while running my 60204. The motor would pop, clatter and fall on it's face at 5,100rpms.

I have now fixed the problem running double springs and proper spring pressures.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I just broke that cam in on my 502HO which has the stock double valve springs that came with the motor. No problems so far but I have less than 200 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey how did the restore do in your truck?
Dan, I've had it in for a week, so I don't know if that's soon enough to tell, but no burning yet. My mechanic also recommended 20W50, which we put in. I'll have a better idea in a few weeks....hopefully turns out good, then I can build the 396 this summer!

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run these with my 60203, got them from Summit.​

LUN-73815 - Valve Springs, Single, 1.500 in. Outside Diameter, 337 lbs./in. Rate, 1.100 in. Coil Bind Height.

They are a single spring setup and the Lunati recommended springs.
I was about to order my cam online, but not being anything close to an expert, I decided to call the order in, just to confirm the spring recomendation that was posted with the cam....the tech guy said it wasn't correct and I purchased P/N 73124.

I called Lunati and confirmed, and those are indeed their recommended springs for that cam. They were a tad more expensive, $129.00 vs. $89.00 ( I think ) for the springs recommended on the Summit site.

FWIW, the tech guy at Summit said that he was going to speak to his manager after he finished with me to change the spring recommendation on the site.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm glad you looked into this and called Tech support. I went through the same problem. I initially went with the 73815's drove the car and was not happy. I even went to the degree of changing cams thinking the VooDoo's were junk. I'm now running the VooDoo again but with the right springs.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
summit has the wrong springs listed, if you dont want valve float go with the 73124!
That sucks :( I just got my heads back from the machine shop a couple weeks ago, had new valves, and of course my spankin new 73815 springs, which I thought were matched to my 60203 cam

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have pushed this issue hard with Lunati since I heard they where going to make the change to dual springs.
I too was trapped with new heads and worthless springs - and out the $ to change them to the correct dual spring.
I went to the top and I have been speaking and emailing the interim general manager of Lunati.
It is unacceptable to know you have an issue and not go to lengths to fix the problem.
Changing cam cards, and notifying your largest distributors takes little time and little money and will cover 85% of your problems.
To his credit he has been very good to deal with and has walked me thru this process himself.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Would I be better off breaking in my engine using the '73815' spring I was told matched my cam, and after break-in, swap to the 73124's? After all, it's only money :clonk:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think you would be ok - you should be around 120# seat with the 73815
You could also swap in an old set of springs and swap the 73815 springs with Lunati - they should do it at no cost

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I think you would be ok - you should be around 120# seat with the 73815
You could also swap in an old set of springs and swap the 73815 springs with Lunati - they should do it at no cost
The springs have never been used yet, even though they are on the heads. The engine is still waiting to be built. Was going to put crank and pistons in tomorrow. You really think if I contacted Lunati they would swap out the springs for the difference in the cost, or should I contact Summit, where I purchased them from? I still have the original 049 springs

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The springs have never been used yet, even though they are on the heads. The engine is still waiting to be built. Was going to put crank and pistons in tomorrow. You really think if I contacted Lunati they would swap out the springs for the difference in the cost, or should I contact Summit, where I purchased them from? I still have the original 049 springs
I would call Summit, since you bought them there. IMHO, they, as well as Lunati are responsible, since their info isn't up to date. You're trusting them to sell you the right part, and you made your purchase based on the info they had available.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would call Summit they would treat you right - HOWEVER
one can not hang this on Summit - Lunati is the company that drug their feet and did not get the information out to their distributors.
Summit hears stories from us jokers all day long - for liability they need to do what the manufacturer tells them to do - I spoke with Summit & Jegs both on this issue and both had to wait for Lunati to get the lead out!
And yes I believe Lunati would exchange your springs without issue even though they have been installed - I told them up front that mine had been installed & bought from a supplier in Salt Lake, I was told none of that mattered, if it was their product they would make it right.
Lunati messed up at first but they are trying to make some amends.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I sent an email to Summit, so I will see what they tell me. I really don't want to have to spend an additional $129 on springs. I don't mind the additional $40 though, over what the 73815's cost.

Just a waiting game now. Putting the crank, cam and pistons in tomorrow. Have to wait on the heads

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I sent an email to Summit, so I will see what they tell me. I really don't want to have to spend an additional $129 on springs. I don't mind the additional $40 though, over what the 73815's cost.

Just a waiting game now. Putting the crank, cam and pistons in tomorrow. Have to wait on the heads
Just got my replay from Summit concerning the springs: "The 73815 springs are the ones recommended by Lunati for the 60203LK cam. The 73124 have a little too much pressure for a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft."

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill, the 73124 were the one's recommended to me by Summit AND Lunati...call Lunati and get some clarification, I'd like to know if they tell you different than they told me...

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I called Lunati before I bought my 60203 and they told me the 73124 springs

1 - 20 of 26 Posts