Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many folk out there volunteer some of there time and or effort to something, trying to pay something back?

I have been volunteering one day a week at a VA medical center. I must say it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Well, I'm fighting tooth and nail to get back in the military since they med-boarded me out. It may cost me a free small block conversion for the recruiter's Mazda pick up, but it'll be worth it if he can get me back in. I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind though.

I also do some work for free on people's vehicles that are having a hard time. I keep waiting for Karma to pay me back, I guess I'll drive on as I am until it does.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I'm involved in a lot of volunteer things. One of the most recent is a prison release after-care program where 6-7 people are paired with one ex-offender and help them to re-integrate into society and become a productive citizen. It is a year long commitment. The young man I've been helping told me a couple weeks ago that he KNOWS he would have been back in prison by now if it wasn't for our team helping him out and keeping him on the straight and narrow.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT,Also with an volunteer with a ambulance service that covers my area,and first responder with them. And a volunteer medic for a outdoor music venue here. Radiohead,Police,Elvis Costello,Iron Maiden,Tim Magraw(alltough I wish it was Faith),Sheryl Crow,Martina McBride(both hot also).All coming up and others.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
22 years and counting as a Firefighter/EMT. It can add up to a part time job if you let it time wise. One year when I was Fire Chief I kept count of the hours that I spent with the FD and it averaged 18.5 hours per week for an entire year.

My wife and I will be going back to Yosemite National Park for the month of July this summer where we volunteer for a month with the Yosemite Association. We provide assistance to the National Park Service as guides, etc.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Every Winter for the past 6 years I volunteer for a program called Chill. It is Burton Snowboards, not-for-profit agency that gives disadvantaged, inner-city youth a chance to get out of the city and learn a sport (specifically...snowboarding). I love hanging-out with those kids and teaching them something that they might otherwise never get a chance to experience!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I do a lot of work at my church, sound tech, bass guitarist, work with the kids, etc..
My buddys band did a free show at the local VA hospital and I donated my time to run sound and do recording. I might be volunteering with the county sherrif soon.
To top it all off I volunteer very large amounts of money to my university twice a year, if that counts. ;) Nothing beats the feeling of helping someone out or otherwise brightening their day. :)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
About twice a month I help out at the "School of Rock" that my son attends. A couple of the instructors hold free classes and jams for the kids 2 Saturdays a month. It started small and got pretty big. Most of the parents just drop the kids and run, leaving the instructors with 10-15 kids to reign in. I haul equipment, clean up, run herd on the lunch breaks etc. Two weeks ago the owner of the music store gave me a company shirt because I'm the only parent who volunteers to help. Pretty cool but I told him I do it so the kids can have a place to play. I like the shirt though :)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
i'm a big brother, i have been a volunteer firefighter, worked for habitat for humanity, and work at church, got a nine gallon pin from red cross about a year ago, and of course i go to every charity car show i can......

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
I volunteer through my church on behalf of DFACS (dept of family and child services). We facilitate visitations between biological parents and their children who have been taken from them, for whatever reason, and put in foster care. The visits have to be supervised unless/until the courts say otherwise, so we monitor the visits and provide security.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I volunteer with the Tucson Chapter of the Flying Samaritans. They have a small clinic in Baja that they fly us (in little 4 seater planes that scare me to death) to once a month and perform free health care. The dentists go on Friday and work two full days each month. I do hearing tests and provide hearing aids to the hearing impaired and provide them with free hearing aid batteries. I'm going again Saturday, come back Sunday.

I'm also involved with the Starkey Hearing Foundation and have been involved in week long missions to San Juan, Puerto Rico, Johannesburg, So Africa, Guadalahara Mexico and Mexico City. Being a part of a team that will fit 800 - 1100 kids with hearing aids in a week is a really emotional experience.

I'm also a director on the Tucson Police Foundation. We raise funds to provide things like a behind the wheel and classroom instruction class for high school kids on defensive driving ( I love being able to abuse an old squad car on the race track at the Police Academy), provide equipment for the cops that the department doesn't provide to make their job easier and safer, and we have awards to honor outstanding officers each year. We started doing a "Cops and Rodders" car show last year. I now have a much better appreciation for what goes in to putting on a show. Our next one is November 8, and we've been meeting every two weeks now for a couple of months, getting ready.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I just won a volunteer of the year award tonight for helping with the boosters at our high school. It may not be as big as others I've seen on this thread but most people don't realize what a good job boosters do for the programs with kids.
My wife and I were 4H leaders for over 15 years too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.