Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since hooking up the voltmeter I have noticed that the needle rests at or past 16v all the time. When I turn the key to "on" it shows 14v, I think. I've been told this is bad. What gives? The car acts fine. The regulator (external) is brand new.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
sounds to me like the meter is reading hi....the voltage of the battery is max 12 volts when the engine isnt running so if youre at 14 on the gauge your 2 volts high...which means your probably at 14 volts running which is in the ballpark

battery voltage is dependent upon the electro chemical composition of the battery which is 2 volts max per cell (X6 cells = 12 volts) for the common lead-acid battery

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 10-15-99).]

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 10-15-99).]

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I'd recommend you recheck both the charging system and the battery. If the regulator is stuck or inop, it can concievably put out over 16V running. As for the battery, resting voltage on a battery is more than 12v, Think it's around 13.2 (2.2v/cell). Get a quality volt meter, check it running and off. Leave the headlites on for about 5 minutes with the motor off, then test about 1/2 hour later (without starting it). That'll settle the battery down to a reliable reading. Ohe other check-if your battery is hot, or boiling after running, you're definitly overcharging, and the batt won't last long!

------------------
71 Ragtop, under construction and over budget!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Also forgot, spec for charging system is 13.6-14.4V. Good luck!

------------------
71 Ragtop, under construction and over budget!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
sid is rite...if battery is hot you may well be over charging but i still suspect the gauge is simply reading hi.... also check water level in battery..if low replenish it with DISTILLED water amd then keep an eye on it...if you see a change over a short time you are most likely overcharging and blowing the water off....bubles rising to the water surface when the engine is running is not diagnostic of boiling/overcharging...it could just be charging which also creates bubbles

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 10-16-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sid has it - check for about 13 plus volts with a healthy fully charged battery and everything off. If you read more than this, your meter is off. Double check it with a good multi-meter. Once you know if/how far off it is, you know what adjustment to make mentally when reading it.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Do things the way you like em, forget what the other guys say!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.