Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if this is normal? When my 67 is idling, around 800 rpm my volt meter jumps between around 15v and 16+v. The needle seems to move between those votages rather fast. Once I hit normal driving, bove 1000 rpm's it seems to remain consistant under 15v (my guess 14.9 or so). I dont want to burn anything up but it does concern me. Is this a problem with the alternator, Voltage Regulator, or both I am pretty sure that I have a alternator that puts out around 60 amps, and I have an electric fan, electric fuel pump and stereo with 3 amplifiers. with everything running my voltage never drops under 14v. I thought for sure I would need a higher amp alternator to run all my equipment. any help would be great.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My first thing I would try is measure the large terminal off the back of the alternator. Also measure the battery with the car running. Digital meter may be best here. See what is happening there. This will also tell you if the car's meter is accurate. It shouldn't be jumping a volt off the back of the alternator. See what you read there first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts