Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
May we suggest you get a wiring diagram for the year of the vehicle you are working on. Will make it much easier. Some free ones are available on the Peach State Chevelles web site.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That's why I like to see pictures of the wiring mess that people end up with after 45 years.

Of course I was soundly admonished the last time I asked for pictures, but those pictures, especially that last one, more than proves my point.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
Looks like the spaghetti strangler worked on those wires. Looks like you have a problem with the intermediate shaft seal also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
72 Chevelle. Could you post a link to where I can find a wiring diagram. Would I be better of finding a Hayes or Chilton manual?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The horn relay is in the last picture, on the firewall above the master cylinder, with the big red wire.

Get a nice color wiring diagram here;
1972 72 Chevy Chevelle Amp El Camino Full Color Laminated Wiring Diagram 11 034 x 17 034 | eBay

Thank you Dean. I thought that was just a junction block. The red wire in that pictures comes up from the starter. That skinny black wire goes to the positive post on the alternator (I'm removing it and running a thicker wire to the battery) Working with stuff that people have hacked up over the years is a nightmare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size should the fusible link be? I bought an inlin fuse to put on that wire but I'm guessing a fusible link would be better?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts