Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just replaced my Blue Steak Voltage Regulator with a new one. The old one kept blowing the external fuse. The new one seems to be ok
The local mechanic put a meter on to get a reading of the output and it read 13.25 with no load and 13.15 with a full load. Is this ok, or should it be higher
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, two questions

1. What would cause it to read this low, I have a new Alternator and battery

2. What can happen with it running at the current output rate

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
I assume that you are using a mechanical regulator and if that is the case then the regulator is maladjusted. Whether or not you can adjust the regulator remains to be seen. You used to be able to adjust regulators by bending the tab that held the tensioning spring on the field current points thereby raising or lowering the field current application time.

With respect to what will happen basically all you are doing is risking undercharging your battery during periods of heavy useage ie: at night, during a rainstorm in bumper to bumper traffic. Thats why both John_Muha and I said 13.8 is usually the minimum voltage we like to see.

[This message has been edited by charbilly2001 (edited 05-21-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I think if you replace the mechanical regulator with a solid state you'll see 14.25+- volts back to the battery. It isn't adjustable but far more reliable.

I kept burning up regulators and it turned out to be a short in the lead that kick starts the alternator with voltage only when the starter is activated (key turned to the start position). Two problems came of this, the first no charging and the second, dead voltage reg's.

------------------
...Dennis
The '69 & the '96
Team Camaro
Camaros Limited

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, actually I just copied Coppertop's numbers. Either way the numbers you are getting are too low whether you use 13.8 off the alternator or 13.6 off the battery. The readings you have are below that.
I had a brand new Delco act up out of the box. Dennis has some good numbers. I get around 14.6/14.7 off the back of the alternator with a solid state unit. Far easier to change to a solid state than to try and adjust a mechanical. Especially if you haven't done it before. Autozone sells the Wells VR715 for around $12.00. I have a warranty on mine from them. These mount right in the same place as the old regulator. The connector goes right in. Two things:
1, Disconnect the battery before installing the Wells unit.
2, The Wells case MUST be grounded. Either remove one of the rubber wellnuts in the core support and use a screw and nut. OR Use a small wire and jumper between the case and core support.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I cleaned all the grounds, seem a couple had dry battery acid on it. The best reading I can get now is

13.94 No Load
13.65 full load

Is this ok, or should I continue trouble shooting

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took your advice and bought a WELLS VR715 BUT have not installed it yet. Here is my question
You mention the following , The Wells case MUST be grounded. Either remove one of the rubber wellnuts in the core support and use a screw and nut. OR Use a small wire and jumper between the case and core support.

I am not sure what you mean by removing rubber wellnuts or putting a small wire and jumper between the case and core.
The one I bought has three holes in the base and the top is riveted on with two rivets that connect the top and base. There are no screws or rubber well nuts.
Did I miss something here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts