Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reinstalling my motor I started it up and the gen light stayed on, I took a look and found that the ground wire on the v-reg was off so I reconnected it and the light went off, but when I turned the key to the off position the car would still run. The only thing I changed was the v-reg to one that was in better condition then mine, somebody gave it to me and it looks new. I do have an MSD installed but I dont have the diode installed. It worked fine with the old v-reg and no diode. How does power get past the ignition switch when the key is off? thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
One half of the GEN light is tied to the pink wire on the ignition switch. In the original set-up this pink wire heads off to coil (+) through the resistor wire.
The ignition switch turns power off and on to the pink wire.
The problem occurs because of the little current required to run the MSD box.
Think of the GEN light as a piece of wire. That's all the filament really is.
When the alternator is running, 12 volts comes from the alternator field output, to the regulator, out the regulator brown wire, to the GEN light, through the GEN light, and to the pink wire.
The diode blocks the voltage going in this direction to prevent run-on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I just went and installed the diode and everything is fine now. Its just funny that the old v-reg didnt cause this problem, well I guess because it was old.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts