Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thank's for all your help for my original post a few days ago. I have installed a new volt/reg and for some unknown reason I had an over voltage situation. My mechanic friend sugested connecting a ground jumper from the batt neg to the v/r. I made a quickie jumper at work and installed it. it seemed to work all last week, so I was thinking, ok I need a beter ground. I sanded the core support footprint as well as the footprint of the v/r. still holding at 15.75 volts. when I hooked the jumper wire up with my volt meter on the battery it instantly droped to 14.75 volts, so I made a nice professional looking wire, connected it to the battery neg and the volt reg and all seems fine. at a stop light the voltage dips down towards 12 like it used to. I guess my question is this, why do I need the jumper wire, I have not done anything to the car to justify having to add it. no major projects or upgrades. basicaly I havent touched it. any help would appreciated. mike

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
:confused: This is strange. The only thing that comes to mind is.

The negative battery cable should have a heavy gauge cable connected to the alternator bracket/engine and a smaller wire connected to the fender. Do you have the smaller wire and is it in good condition with clean connections?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts