Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '69 There is a condenser attached to the voltage regulator. What is it for and where can I purchase a new one? My GM parts counter guy is having problems tracking it down. He can only find the one for the distributor and they have a totally different connector. Does anyone have a part number?

·
Super Moderator
13,010 Posts
Krum,
The condenser is for radio noise suppression. Do you know it is bad for certain, or just want to replace it for looks ? A bad one will allow a lot of charging system "whine" into the radio when listening to AM. I am not certain where you can find a replacement.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Krum,

Bill is right, it is for noise supression. There would also be another one in line with the orange wire going to the heater blower if you also have an FM radio. I was not able to purchase these condensors as far as I remember. I do remember scrounging for several in bone yards. I found a few in realy nice condition. Check out cars with AC as they seemed to always have a condensor by the ac blower box.

Fastss396man

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by krum1969396:
On my '69 There is a condenser attached to the voltage regulator. What is it for and where can I purchase a new one? My GM parts counter guy is having problems tracking it down. He can only find the one for the distributor and they have a totally different connector. Does anyone have a part number?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle, L78 396/375hp, M-21 Close Ratio, 10 year Resto, It's brand new again!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Yes, it's for noise suppression--of the radio variety.

I actually found a Borg-Warner part # for this, but I don't know where it is.

If you want your car to look good, but not 1000% original, buy a regular distributor condensor, chop off the funny connector and install a female spade lug connector on the wire. This will plug right into the lug on the rear of the regulator. Take care to put it on carefully so it doesn't short to ground since this lug will be "hot". Mount the condensor (capacitor) just how the factory did with the original, you'll have to clean up the original holder to ensure a good ground connection from the body of the condensor to the radiator support metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts