Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to move the Chevelle and it wouldn't even try to start. But when I moved the steering wheel the voltage regulator started clicking, I'm assuming the contacts are opening or closing. I tried shorting across the solenoid to get it started and nothing happens. Am I looking for a short in the neutral safety switch circuit? Would that cause the clicking? Or is there an internal short in the column. This happens with the igintion switch in all positions. Jigling the column shift lever gets the same results. Any ideas while I start looking for a short?? Thanks.

Patrick

------------------
OrrieG
64 Malibu HT Survivor

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dean - you the man. I gave the horn relay the touchy feely test along with regulator, its the relay. Makes sense, I don't have the horn guts and have it disconnected at the horn. Wire is probably shorted and drained the battery. I rememeber taping the end, but 40K of wear has taken its tole. Battery is charging, wheel is coming off next.

Thanks I'll post an update.

Patrick

------------------
OrrieG
64 Malibu HT Survivor

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean, that was it. The round piece that the horn wire plunger sits in has broken off and disengrated, allowing the wire to intermintently contact the steering wheel. Battery took a charge and car stared fine.

I had a couple of times in the last weeks where I had to hit the started a more than once to engage the solenoid, I figured it was time to clean the battery connections or the solenoid going south. Short draining the battery was the cause.

Thanks again. BTW, when I first told my wife of the problem, her first suggestion was to get online with my Chevelle buddies. I have a feeling that comment is going to cost me dinner!

Patrick

------------------
OrrieG
64 Malibu HT Survivor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts