Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to tell if you alternator has a voltage regulator built in? I know the original one in my 65 didn't have one (internal regulator) and the voltage regulator is still bolted to the radiator support. But when I got a new one from Autozone, it charges up the battery and everything without being hooked up to the regulator (no wires were running from the one that was in the car when I bought it). Of course, Autozone doesn't know if it is internally regulated or not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do a search on previous posts. You will find all the info you need. A alternator with a internal voltage regulator has a different plug (wider with spades laying down - - ). External regulated alternator has parellel spades (=). Someone may have done a alternator conversion previously. I am no expert on this matter, I just used the info I gained on this site and this is what I learned. I hope this helps and I am giving you accurate info.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's a picture of an internal regulated alternator (10SI) connector shown here. As correctly mentioned above the connector pins go the opposite direction. The connector for an external regulated unit (CS) won't go in. May want to check Wes's tech ref section to see if the wiring was modified correctly. http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

1 - 3 of 3 Posts