Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is scoop. 77 Camaro Type Lt ... 350 Auto trans ... basically stock except AMP , CD Player, and Keyless Entry System for Power Door Locks ... All have been in and fully functional for more than 1 yr ... About 2 weeks ago my son called from school to say that the car wouldn't start. I stopped by and we were able to jump the car ... When he got home, I notice very very low volts on voltmeter. Using my multimeter to verify, we had approximately 8 volts. I had just bought the Alt and Bat ( and Starter ) Nov 2001 ... I took the alternator back to store and they said that it tested fine ... After some lengthy discussion, they agreed to exchange it anyway... Yesterday evening my son comes home saying that the meter is down around 8 volts again, and of course, this drains the battery as he drives. Now the car doesn't have enough volts to start. I recharged the battery, and I decided to post this question. Assuming that the ALternator and Battery are good, what can be causing a high voltage drop while the car is running? When I put the new alternator on I had 14.8 volts ... This morning when I first start the car, 14.8 volts ... after the car ran for awhile, the volts measurement began to decrease ... eventually getting down to 12.7 before I turned it off ... Could this be some kind of heat related resistance? Is so, what should I check or look for ... Thanks in advance for any help ... sdtsdt

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
My guess is the battery. New or not, I see this same symptom here in the summer A LOT. This is battery killing country and that is a classic symptom. Doesn't seem to matter what brand, except for the "Orbital" types. I now buy those, as do most of my friends. They seem to take the heat much better. I would have the battery Load tested by someone who's really good at it.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Check the voltage at the alternator, the large terminal/wire with the engine running. Rev the engine to see if the voltage increases. Then do the same at the battery, voltage at idle and voltage when revved. Then turn on everything- headlights, heater/AC blower on high, CD and amp. Check the bat voltage again. If you measure less than 13 volts its likely that the alternator is working but not able to supply the current demands.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts