Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new Volt Reg on my 67 SS. It is a 396 325 HP edition. Using my multi-meter, I read 13.82 volts ... Other posts I have read indicated that approx 14.9 or so was what you would expect. Do I have any cause for concern here?... Also, what amp alternator would be ideal? ... I believe mine is 37 amp based on some text on the case ... I assume I can go up to a 50 something, maybe even a 63 amp alternator ... Would the alternator change result in any increase on the volt reading ?
Thanks in advance for your response ...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Personally (my opinion), I like the Wells solid state regulators. Inexpensive and they hold around 14.5 volts to the battery. 13.82 volts is a little low. You have one of the old low amperage alternators. Unless you are into numbers matching these have a very low output. Chevy got away from these things for that reason. Cost you just as much to get one of these things as a higher output unit.
My opinion again. You have a big block. Dollar for dollar put in an internally regulated alternator. They control better that the mechanical regulators, you will get the higher amperage, and you can get a replacement unit anyplace in town. Discussed again a couple of weeks back. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001543.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts