Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I've helped different people on their original radio questions, but now I need some help.

I'm building Team Chevelle's radio information pages. They will cover the original audio from 1964-1972 Chevelles, El Caminos, Monte Carlos and the related vehicles.

Here's MY question...

My research shows that in the early Delco electronics diagrams, you "could" order an under-dash 8-track player with your am/fm or am/fm stereo in-dash radio in 1970.

Is this true, I mean does any one have this factory set-up?

I'm confused because in 1970, the combination AM/8-track and AM/FM Stereo/8-track made their debut.

It's my thinking that if you really wanted
am/fm stereo and a 8track player, you were "forced" to buy the in-dash combo unit.

I'm fairly certain that from 1970-1972 you could have an under-dash 8-track player with your in-dash AM radio?!

Could someone fill me in on the possible AM/FM and AM/FM/STEREO options.
Or all of the above...

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Another 70ss convertible I had which was all original had the combination AM/8track stereo as one unit..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not positive on the 70 model but my 69 has AM/FM under dash 8-track with four speaker setup. This probably doesn't help with your 70 question but I thought I would toss it in for what ever its worth.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
My (mis)understanding is that factory 8-tracks from '70 onward were integral with the radio dial faceplate. A dealer would be happy to install a pre '70 style separate 8-track under the dash on your new (or used) car, as per my '70 Custom Features & Accessoris brochure. The separate 8-track continued as a dealer or factory option in the Firebird-console equipped F-bodies ('70-'81 Firebird; '73-'81 Camaro)until at least '79, if not '81.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cam Thank you! That's what I was looking for. Yes, I understood completely about the integrated "flip-down dial door" that '70+ Chevelles had, but like I said, I was confused because my DELCO books showed under-dash hook-ups to factory am, am/fm and even am/fm stereo in-dash units.

The better info I find, the better the website for fellow Chevelle enthusiasts

·
Registered
994 Posts
How 'bout those cute little 45rpm record players..he..he..he I had an 8 track by Craig I think it was called the "Love Deck". The four channel-lights would spell:
L
O
V
E
I know it' not an OEM unit, but I must say it was quite original in it's own little way

------------------
"Like-em-All" "Help-em-All"
"Race-em-All" "Lose-a-Lot"
"Always faster bench racing"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.