Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about buying a vintage car hauler for the projects I drag home from time to time, and to haul my car to and from the track (which is ~60 miles each way). Do any of you guys own one of these, and if so, how does it drive/tow?

1971 Chevrolet C/K Pickup 3500 | eBay

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Always thought about a old COE with a rollback. Would be a cool hauler.

I saw a mix of a 4x4 truck and a flatbed car trailer. The truck (crew cab) was used as a front wheel drive and the trailer was grafted to the frame and had the standard dual axles on the back. It was actually done very well and looked good, maybe a bit weird. Would be very practical (low load height and normal advantages of a trailer) and relatively low cost.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I wouldn't buy that one. The frame isn't done correctly. See the vertical weld where they stretched it? That should have been a step joint or at least a 45 for strength. The way they did the supports after the rear axle looks sketchy also.

I've seen some where they took an older cab and put it on a modern factory stretched rollback frame like from a 90's or 2000's truck with modern suspension brakes engine etc. I'd rather have one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
From a DOT standpoint, I wonder how something like that would fly if you encountered a zealot enforcement officer.

I'm sure that loaded it's well over the original rated GVWR, with my luck I'd run into that one guy who wanted to make a point and it would end up a yard decoration. So, my vote would be for the re-cab of a later rollback.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I restored a camper special 71 3/4 ton and use it to pull my open trailer. It has front disc brakes and upgraded springs and pulls and drives great. I get tired of the 4.10 gears but I have an od unit for a th400 trans that might go in eventually. More practical than a dedicated hauler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I restored a camper special 71 3/4 ton and use it to pull my open trailer. It has front disc brakes and upgraded springs and pulls and drives great. I get tired of the 4.10 gears but I have an od unit for a th400 trans that might go in eventually. More practical than a dedicated hauler.
Beautiful 56 on that trailer and the 71 is no slouch either. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a 77 C10 Cheyenne for a few years about 5 years ago. That was modern enough to feel totally safe pulling an open trailer with car on in traffic. It was real nice too, the two tone Hawaiian blue. All original and even working AC. I sold it when I moved, it was 2wd and would have been useless here.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Many moons ago when I started collecting cars again, I was going to buy a used rollback. I just couldn't wrap my head around having another vehicle that had such limited use versus having a trailer and tow vehicle. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
i bought a 77 long bed with only 40 k on it about 10 years ago. it was that brown beige combo they painted a ton of em in. it was a really nice truck. wish i would have kept it. when i read the thread title i thought it was about vintage car trailers the company

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
I'd love to have a vintage ramp truck, but I don't have the room to park one. Like others that have already responded, I have a good tow vehicle and access to a trailer so I really can't justify it for occasional use.

Devin

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool rigs...I'm looking at a '70 right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts