Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone instal a Vintage Air unit is a 70-72 recently? I just got a system in to do a 71 and I’m reading that 2” on the back of the glove box need to be removed. This car is an original owner SS with the original dash I already restored. I am NOT cutting the dash for this. Looking to see if anyone can confirm this is the case with this system.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi
Keep the original part and substitute for a part your willing to cut up.
Its obvious but if a cars that original fit a factory air system . Although fairly rare some GM cars had dealer fitted "factory air".

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Keep the original part and substitute for a part your willing to cut up.
Its obvious but if a cars that original fit a factory air system . Although fairly rare some GM cars had dealer fitted "factory air".

That's not an option with this car. It not a factory AC car nor had dealer installed air. I already restored the dash board I am NOT changing it out and cutting another one up. It's not that simple on a 70-72 car.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a 70, when I did the install I did the 2” trim thing. That leaves a little over 1.5” between the back of the modified glovebox and the evap/fan box.

In the pic the arrow points to the supplied glovebox back panel.

I guess in reality you could trim only 1/2” off, but then the supplied panel won’t fit. You’d have to make your own.

I’m gonna say you can’t do the install without trimming the glovebox....unless you want to “force” the dash back on in that area.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said, cutting a restored original SS dash is out of the question. I suppose I’ll be calling vintage Air Monday morning. The owner of the car is anxious to get it back. Designing the evaporater box so this has to be done is a piss poor design.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My 70 SS dash with a Classic AC system required no trimming of the back of the glove box. It fits nicely with no problems for foot / leg space above the footwell. I have zero complaints about the installation and operation of my Classic system.

Rick

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Like I said, cutting a restored original SS dash is out of the question. I suppose I’ll be calling vintage Air Monday morning. The owner of the car is anxious to get it back. Designing the evaporater box so this has to be done is a piss poor design.
Isn't the glove box a separate part like on older models, or why do you have to cut the dash? Vintage Air's website says that the Surefit system comes with a replacement glove box: https://www.vintageair.com/surefit/complete-kits/?make=Chevrolet&year1=1971&model=Chevelle

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Anyone instal a Vintage Air unit is a 70-72 recently? I just got a system in to do a 71 and I’m reading that 2” on the back of the glove box need to be removed. This car is an original owner SS with the original dash I already restored. I am NOT cutting the dash for this. Looking to see if anyone can confirm this is the case with this system.
Yes, I did have to shorten the rear of the glove box using the supplied filler piece that comes in the kit. I didn't mind losing about an inch of storage and it's not visible.

Claude. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I cut back of box for clearance
Cant see it or tell it's been cut.
But You can tell the big OEM unit is not out on firewall anymore and the vacuum operated ac controls.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m going to try and not come across the wrong way here I will say this one more time. I am NOT cutting an unlolested restored original SS dash.
I’ve installed these units before in pre 70 cars and am aware of the benefits of other aspects of the installation.
I have already ordered a system from Classic Air which DOES NOT require any modification to the 70-72 dash.
IMO, Vintage Air sells these systems for the 70-72 applications a little deceptively. It’s a “Sure Fit” system. That should mean no modification is necessary. They should disclose that modification to the dash is necessary so the customer can choose to use it or another system that doesn’t require such modification.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I’m going to try and not come across the wrong way here I will say this one more time. I am NOT cutting an unlolested restored original SS dash.
I’ve installed these units before in pre 70 cars and am aware of the benefits of other aspects of the installation.
I have already ordered a system from Classic Air which DOES NOT require any modification to the 70-72 dash.
IMO, Vintage Air sells these systems for the 70-72 applications a little deceptively. It’s a “Sure Fit” system. That should mean no modification is necessary. They should disclose that modification to the dash is necessary so the customer can choose to use it or another system that doesn’t require such modification.
Well, I don’t know about you, but I always read through the installation instructions on things of that nature before I buy. The fact that the vintage air requires cutting the glove box is fully disclosed.

Installation instructions are available online for almost everything made.

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I don’t know about you, but I always read through the installation instructions on things of that nature before I buy. The fact that the vintage air requires cutting the glove box is fully disclosed.

Installation instructions are available online for almost everything made.
I did not order it, my customer did and had it drop shipped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts