Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if a vinyle top could be changed to a hard top realativly easy and about how much would it cost if it could be done

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sure, just peel off the vinyl, remove the moldings, and repaint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how hard is it to peel the vinyl off i dont' want it to look bad. does it look just like a factory hard top? thank for the help

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hold on! It's not that easy! Under the trim pieces are mounting studs which will need to be ground off and then bodywork is needed to smooth the body. How good are you with a grinder and bodywork?

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm not good with a grinder or any of that body crap thats y i didn't want to buy the car if i couldn't fix it without some major dropage of cash

·
Registered
319 Posts
sorry to interject into this post, but what about doing the reverse of this? i was considering adding a vinyl top to my elky. how hard/expensive is that?

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Before you can put a vinyl top on it is imperative all rust has been removed and all areas to be covered properly prepped and painted to reduce any future problems from rust under the top. If you don't already have the vinyl top trim moldings they're $55(OPG) and the drip rail moldings $100(NPD). The top itself is about $65.

I used the screw in type molding studs, at least 3 on each side $0.35 each (Mr. Gs) to attach the trim moldings and a local trim shop installed the top for a 3hr labor charge @ $35 hour.

I am one who loves the look and I will do whatever is needed to maintain the top and if any problems show up I'll strip the top off and do it all over again.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/newpaint1.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I did my restoration, I removed and kept the vinyl top off. I had to replace the trunk to window sheet metal that had 2 holes in it. I also replaced my quarters so I didn't have to grind off the metal trim piece studs that you will have to.

As far as removing the top itself, it just peeled off fairly easy but it left a layer of glue.

When its all said and done, it looks great and you can't tell there was ever a vinyl top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.