Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time forum reader never really a poster(love chevelles didn't have one). I am currently looking to pull the trigger and pick up a 71 chevelle shell and frame.. (only the 2nd for sale in my area in the past 3 years, at least to be listed) the price is right and it looks like with any luck I'll have the cash in buddy's hand by Tuesday. OK now we got you up to speed. Other then knowing it's a 71 chevelle as a shell most of the history behind the car is gone, that will mean the vin and build plate will be all I have to work with, I can't see there being a build sheet still in the car. Is there any other information I'll be able to track down from the car? All I have found online are the con vin's but that just pretty much the same information as the vin. Mostly I am asking is I am not over looking something am I?
Cheers and thanks taking time to read my post.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Probably not. Does your buddy have a title that matches the VIN? The car options could be decoded fr the build sheet, but if it's a shell, just build it the way you want it and don't worry about originality.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The only thing is you can find out where it was sold new new at by paying NCRS 40 bucks. Other then that there is nothing else.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
After you get the selling dealer info from NCRS. If the car was sold to a dealer in your state I would do a title search with the DMV. Not all states will do this.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
The vin will at least tell you where it was built and what engine came with it, you can surmise what trans and rear-end were in it by the trans tunnel and engine option. As long as the trim tag is there you can tell when it was built, exterior color, interior trim and color.
When you say "shell and frame" do you mean that it is completely stripped or is it just missing the interior and drivetrain? There is a lot that can be "guessed" from little clues and most of the time you will be correct.
Post up here any questions (pictures are very helpful) you may have. Chances are someone here will know the answer.

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
The vin will at least tell you where it was built and what engine came with it, you can surmise what trans and rear-end were in it by the trans tunnel and engine option. As long as the trim tag is there you can tell when it was built, exterior color, interior trim and color.
When you say "shell and frame" do you mean that it is completely stripped or is it just missing the interior and drivetrain? There is a lot that can be "guessed" from little clues and most of the time you will be correct.
Post up here any questions (pictures are very helpful) you may have. Chances are someone here will know the answer.
On a 71 the VIN will only tell you if it was an L6 or V8 plus plant. By the sequence number of the plant one can figure out fairly closely when it was built but that'd be on the trim tag as well.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
On a 71 the VIN will only tell you if it was an L6 or V8 plus plant. By the sequence number of the plant one can figure out fairly closely when it was built but that'd be on the trim tag as well.
Crap, that's right. I was thinking 72 for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts