Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to verify an "original" 70 SS. Other than the VIN plate on the dash and the # behind the heater box, are there any other areas on the body the VIN is stamped?

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
There is a VIN stamped behind the heater box?? Not being a smart-a$$, I just never knew that. Is this true? If so, what exactly do you mean "behind the heater box". I replaced my heater core a couple of years ago and pulled the cover off to get at it. Is that the cover youare referring to?

Anyway, on a 1970 Chevelle, I don't believe the VIN will tell you if it had SS options. You need the build sheet.

Jim

------------------
My 70 Chevelle
Best ET [email protected] (so far)
BSE Power

·
Registered
964 Posts
True you can not verify a 1970 SS by it just its VIN#.But if you are looking for the VIN# locations,try on the frame rear rail.Behind or above the Drivers side rear tire.Sometimes there is a VIN# stamped here,not always.It will be facing upwards,to the trunk floor.Between where the frame curves over the axle and the resonator is on the tailpipe.Very hard to see if the body is still attached,but possible with a Mirror and time.
The Heater Box VIN# is usually located where the Blower Motor enters the Firewall.Not always there on all cars either.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

[This message has been edited by mr70 (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
They are hidden in different places on different cars. My son and I had to have a 70 Mach I retitled because the previous owner lost the title. The SHP took the car in their garage and gave it the once over to see if any parts were stolen. The officer told us that there were multiple places the vin was stamped, but it is not general knowledge for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
There was a number on mine behind the heater box but it didnt resemble anything, just some weird number. I wrote it down but lost it.
Someone also mentioned that there is a number in the trunk on the drivers side and i believe (if memory serves) on the under side. But i couldnt find one on my 70.

·
Registered
60 Posts
there's another one, at least on my car. it's in the water trough of the body where the trunk lid/seal rests when the trunk is closed.

just open the trunk lid, look in that trough on the passenger side, about midway. only the first 6 numbers are there, the letter for the assembly plant and the production numbers are not there. basically you can tell if it's a V8 and the year. as mentioned before, you need the build sheet for the SS conversion/options

------------------
Astro Blue '70 SS
Christmas Chevelle
Build/Born On Date,
4th Week of December
TC#1448
Wally Sowles
smoking TIRES won't give you cancer

·
Registered
964 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by teach:
there's another one, at least on my car. it's in the water trough of the body where the trunk lid/seal rests when the trunk is closed.

just open the trunk lid, look in that trough on the passenger side, about midway. only the first 6 numbers are there, the letter for the assembly plant and the production numbers are not there. basically you can tell if it's a V8 and the year. as mentioned before, you need the build sheet for the SS conversion/options

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teach
Thats is a body panel ID number.You will see this as the first 6 digits,136370 for a 70 Chevelle,on both sides.This identifys what type of model it is for.You'll find this on other cars as well as long as they dont load up the paint in there.Not VIN# specific.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
60 Posts
rick, that makes sense thanks for the info...is that for all chevelles including non SS's, as well as all years?

i'm thinking yes, am i right?

wally

------------------
Astro Blue '70 SS
Christmas Chevelle
Build/Born On Date;
(12D)4th week of December
Wally Sowles TC#1448
smokin' TIRES won't give you cancer!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Wally
SS and non SS have this number.
I have seen it on 1969-72.I don't know about other years Chevelles as I have not looked,but I would imagine they did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the car I am looking at, the number stamped in the quarter/trunk lid area is 13637. It does not list a 6th # which would be the year. (0,1,2) This makes sense because the panels are most likely mass produced and applicable to all years. (70-72). On this particular car, there is a space following this # and then T17 is stamped. This is on both the left and right quarter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
T17...hmmmm i've never seen that after the "other" numbers. but like we've probably all heard before, "just about anything could have been done back in the GLORY days". just a thought...wouldn't it be great to have a seminar on muscle cars and the speakers be (real) ex assembly line workers from the late 60's and 70's?!

wally

·
Registered
770 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by teach:
just a thought...wouldn't it be great to have a seminar on muscle cars and the speakers be (real) ex assembly line workers from the late 60's and 70's?!

wally
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What an absolutely fantastic idea!!

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.