Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1967 SS 396. The moron I had doing body work on it removed the trim tag from the firewall and door post on the hinge side of the driver door. The frame is not original nor is the engine. Can anyone please advise me of all the locations where I might locate the VIN number?

·
Registered
944 Posts
So he removed the trim tag and the VIN tag? So do you have the tags? If not, first get them and the car back. Second, find a different person to do your body work.

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So he removed the trim tag and the VIN tag? So do you have the tags? If not, first get them and the car back. Second, find a different person to do your body work.
Thank you so much for your most insightful yet informative advice, bcmiller. Does anyone doubt the reasons I come here for assistance and information? And here I was just wondering what I was going to do with my extra $20 before renewing my membership, too.

FYI, I got rid of the body man a long time ago and this is now going to court and insurance. Also, if I had the tags I wouldn't be asking the different locations they would be installed and therefore would not have to look for the numbers on them.

Once again, another $20 well spent.

Thank you all so much.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Perhaps you should spend you $20 with a psychic, they might be better able to read your mind.
Try putting more critical information in your question to begin with and you won't have to be so critical of someone trying to give you a hand for free.
Any money you spend on the membership goes to the company that owns this site. Members offer their replies out of the kindness of their heart and interest in the hobby.

Dan

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sorry, I gave the best answer I could. And yes, last I checked, I could not read minds.

Did you check the link I posted? It does list a location for a partial conceiled VIN, found on some cars built at the Atlanta assembly plant.

If VIN tag is gone, you are out of luck. You said the frame was already swapped. Original engine is gone. Three strikes.

How about the title? That should have the VIN on it.

I think you are going to end up with a state assigned VIN number or a parts car.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
I have a 1967 SS 396. The moron I had doing body work on it removed the trim tag from the firewall and door post on the hinge side of the driver door. The frame is not original nor is the engine. Can anyone please advise me of all the locations where I might locate the VIN number?

Given that the tags are gone, Frame is not original to the car.. you are SOL for the most part :( but I do not mean to offend.. .. IF you are the owner of this car, you should most definitely have paperwork with your VIN on it?? A Title, a previous owner registration card, an insurance card ( you did not leave your car with a body shop without any form of insurance on it I am sure ), an invoice of your sales transaction for whenever you bought this car, whether 2 years ago or 20 years ago.. you have to some proof of ownership of this car?? and said proof will have a VIN on it somewhere. Now, I realize, as previously stated, you would not be here asking if you had it.. but it does beg the question.... ho wcan you own a car and not have any proof of ownership??

Please advise, because I am always intrigued when I see people asking questions about where to find VIN when they in fact are the owners of the car?

Sorry for your troubles..

MC

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Well, IF the VIN tag is gone, you really have little choice (maybe it diffs where you live). You will probably have to visit the Police/Motor Vehicles/Highway Patrol... They can check the car over, and if they determine its yours, then they will add a "new" VIN tag to the car (usually in the door jamb)...

No other "legal" way to do it that I can think of... Even IF you found the tags, its illegal to reattach to the car yourself... But IF you could find the tag, and the authorities determined it was the correct VIN for the car, you MIGHT be able to talk them into reattaching the tag in the original location...

And while the replacement tag will likely reduce the value of the car, its not know how much effect it will have...

IF YOU decide to take it upon yourself, and reattach the tag (IF you found it), you might open yourself up to future problems ( from subsequent owners) if the frame or engine vin ever come back as being stolen. That wouldn't look good with you having played with the tags too...

My friend bought a car that was missing the VIN tag... It checked out okay, and the Highway patrol installed a new VIN tag ( same original vin number, just a new tag)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Given that the tags are gone, Frame is not original to the car.. you are SOL for the most part :( but I do not mean to offend.. .. IF you are the owner of this car, you should most definitely have paperwork with your VIN on it?? A Title, a previous owner registration card, an insurance card ( you did not leave your car with a body shop without any form of insurance on it I am sure ), an invoice of your sales transaction for whenever you bought this car, whether 2 years ago or 20 years ago.. you have to some proof of ownership of this car?? and said proof will have a VIN on it somewhere. Now, I realize, as previously stated, you would not be here asking if you had it.. but it does beg the question.... ho wcan you own a car and not have any proof of ownership??

Please advise, because I am always intrigued when I see people asking questions about where to find VIN when they in fact are the owners of the car?

Sorry for your troubles..

MC
interesting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.