Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing a 350 with a 396 in my 67. I have almost everything out of the engine bay. I have two questions. I have read about a con vin underneath the heater core cover. I cannot find it. Any ideas?

My firewall has a lot of holes/dents. Would you recommend filling in holes with bondo, sanding and painting. Any other recommendations?

How do I post pictures?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I'm more of a 69/70 guy, but you may want to post the Assembly plant your car was built at so the 67 guys can help you nail down the CON VIN locations and consistency of the stampings.

Alot of the small "Dimples" on the firewall were punched at the factory as a template for certain options when needed. This allowed for proper placement for attachment to the firewall.

It depends on your goals with the car, a factory correct restoration should obviously leave the "Dimples" in place. A pro touring restoration is often times smoothed and painted body color.

I typically skim coat the firewalls in my cars to remove any unwanted dings or holes. I'll take some sheetmetal and glue it in from behind with 2 part epoxy on any larger holes before skim coating. You typically don't want your bondo to be any more than 1/8" thick so any large dent's may need to be pulled out.

Filling in too thick will likely crack soon afterwards with all of the vibration and extreme temperature variation in the engine bay.

Since my resto's are stock, I usually dig the "Dimples" back out.

You need to be a member to post pictures, but if you have something specific you need looked at, I could post it for you.

Semi Flat on the firewall, Semi Gloss on the Inner Fenders, and Gloss Black on the heater cover will give you nice, correct, contrasting detail if your going for the "original look".

The Sky's the limit otherwise.

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
I am in the process of replacing a 350 with a 396 in my 67. I have almost everything out of the engine bay. I have two questions. I have read about a con vin underneath the heater core cover. I cannot find it. Any ideas?

My firewall has a lot of holes/dents. Would you recommend filling in holes with bondo, sanding and painting. Any other recommendations?

How do I post pictures?

Thanks,
Gary
Not all plants stamped the CON VIN there. I have a sample from Atlanta on my Reference CD but I've heard other plants didn't always stamp one there.

As far as filling holes, etc. it depends on what you want to do with the car. Obviously the original engine is gone so a restoration might not be in the cards in which case a smooth firewall might look pretty good.

I think if you're a member you can upload images via Manage Attachments. I've been a member so long I can't remember if it's a requirement or not. Otherwise you'll need to get an account with an online image host like Photobucket (there's a bunch of these hosts), upload the image there then link to it with the Insert Link icon (world & chain link) or Insert Image (the little yellow square icon).

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I have seen VIN numbers on the firewall near the lower edge of the heater box about the middle of the box and also on top of the firewall on the flange that the wiper grille sits on.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
My con vin was not at the bottom of the heater cover opening as shown.
I found mine under the cowl vent piece that goes from one side to the other and the wiper attachments stick out of. It is located on the passenger side stamped into the top(horizontal) part of the firewall.
Take out a few screws, lift it up, and have a look.
Good luck.
Herbie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its from Kansas; I do have photos, its look like I will have to become a member to post

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts