Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am getting my father's 70 Chevelle ready to be put back on the road.
The only problem was that we have lost the title.
I ask the state (Kansas) about it (the car is still in Kansas, while I am in Michigan).
They say I should provide them with the VIN.
So I give them the 136370R...... VIN, and await for their reply by email.
Here is the response:
"

The record I found is for a 1980 Datsun and the person lived in Garden
City. If that is your father he can apply for a duplicate title."

A Datsun?!?!

I tried looking for examples of 1980 Datsun VINs, and what I have found
would not look like my VIN at all.

I am really hoping they made a mistake. They did tell me that they had
to look it up on microfilm.

Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
They had to have made a mistake. I would try to call them and explain the situation, or resend the duplicate title request. Maybe the digits weren't clear or something.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean,
The car has not been registered since the very late 70s~very early 80s. My father made it a dedicated strip car around that time, so it has been unregistered ever since. However, he would have been the last person it would have been registered to.

I just hope the person that I have been working with will continue to do so. I was very careful in my wording as to not offend them by telling them that the idea that the VIN in no way could be from a Datsun. I politely mentioned that I had found a place on the internet that confirmed the VIN was from a Chevrolet Chevelle.

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Registered
862 Posts
just call them back and have them check again, i think that it would be very unlikley that a datsun and a arlington built chevelle V8 2 door coupe had the same vin. #s:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received a reply this morning:
"Sorry I didn't find more. In Kansas you can sell a vehicle that is 35 years
or older on a bill of sale. Will Michigan accept that?Or your father could
do a bill of sale from himeself to himself and get a motor vehicle
inspection. This would get the title in his name. Then he could sign it
over to you."

She also gave a phone number to call if I had any questions.

I'm not sure what she means by vehicle inspection.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
a vehicle inspection means the DMV wants to see the VIN tag. proof of inspection by a police officer may be enough and the police should have proper form to fill out. if you still have problems contact me and I can provide correct paperwork from alabama to get you a new correct title in anyone's name you designate.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,270 Posts
IN Kansas vehicles are inspected by the KHP on every vehicle coming in from another state.
The inspection consists of checking the VIN for signs of tampering and verifying that it matches with the title/paperwork.
In addition they check under the hood and verify that the number of cylinders match what is on the paperwork.

Not that I'm any authority but I've never heard of a car being "unregistered" in Kansas once it's registered, it should still be in the computer in the last person's name.

I suppose it's possible that the records have been purged :confused:

Might be a lot simpler to get a new title from huffhuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Dean,
A quick rundown:
The problem is that my father has lost the title.
It was in his name, and it was a Kansas title.
He purchased the vehicle in Wichita in the mid 70s, so that is when he would have received the title.
The car is in Wichita.
It does not have the original 396 that was in it, but it has a GM crate 454 LS-7 that my father purchased and installed back in the very early 90s. So, the number of cylinders would match what the VIN has indicated.

I'm still very confused about it coming back as a 1980 Datsun. I have done some searching about Datsun VINs, and they do not look anything like what a '70 Chevelle would.

I will probably try to call her and try to convince her that the VIN could in no way be from a Datsun.

As for a new title from huffhuff, I am suprised that it could be done like that. Is there something I should know?

Thanks again,
Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
a vehicle inspection means the DMV wants to see the VIN tag. proof of inspection by a police officer may be enough and the police should have proper form to fill out.
This is the way I would go. Does your father have anything that could show proof of ownership? Things like an old insurance slip or even pictures of the car from years ago. This may help with the inspection go more smoothly if you have some history of the car. I don't know the laws in your state but you may end up with a state issued VIN number that may or may not affect the value of your car.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
what i do is register your vehicle in my name in alabama, a non-title state. i then "sell" the car to you with a notarized bill of sale and furnish "my" registration. these will get you a Kansas title. your problem is compounded by the fact that anything registered before computerization and not renewed from year to year will not be in the computer.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,270 Posts
I dunno, I think maybe I would still pursue filling out a request for duplicate KS title if your dad is still around.
Naturally, only the person to whom the car is registered can file for a duplicate title.

I'm thinking you need to talk to someone else at KS DMV.
I know if you ask 5 different people there a question you'll get 5 different answers, same as dealing with the IRS.
Like Paul said, any old papers with the VIN on them might help.

OR, talk to huffhuff.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Sorry if I missed it but it appears your exchanging emails and replys back and fourth. Why not get someone in the state of Kansas on the phone and get an actual live person to help you?:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Sorry if I missed it but it appears your exchanging emails and replys back and fourth. Why not get someone in the state of Kansas on the phone and get an actual live person to help you?:confused:

I've wondered this from the start of this thread.

Rocky

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello everyone,
I called late yesterday and spoke with the person I had been exchanging emails with.
Here is what she said that I needed to do.

Because the vehicle is 35 years or older, it is considered an antique vehicle by the state.
(To be antique, the body, chassis, and engine all must be 35 or older)
With antique vehicles, the process to get a new title is:
1. A bill of sale will be produced in which my father sells the car from himself to himself
2. A vehicle inspection is performed by the state highway patrol

The cost of the inspection is $10, and the cost for a new title is $10.

I asked how the VIN I submitted to her could come up with a totally different vehicle, and she said that there must be overlapping VINs in the system. I asked if a mistake could have been made in looking in the old files, and she said it was possible, but not probable. I made a polite attempt to request that someone look again just in case, and she replied that the same thing would most likely happen again.

On a side note, she asked if it was a SS. I told her it was, and she told me that she had owned a 69 SS Chevelle at one time, and how great of a car it was.

I really do not want a state issued VIN when I have a perfectly good one right there on the plate on the dash, but who knows what will happen.

In reality, the car has more sentimental value to me than monetary value, and I want to get this title thing fixed as soon as possible so that my wife and kids can have fun with it.

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The saga continues...

I contact the office that does the vehicle inspection, and speak with the officer that would do the inspecting.

After I explain to him the situation, he tells me that he can't do anything for me if I do not have a title, which contradicts what the state told me about obtaining a title.

He advised me to fill out the application for duplicate title, and send to Topeka.

I mailed my father a copy I printed out from their online forms site, and he will send it out next week.

I guess it is then a waiting game to see what happens next.

It is very frustrating to say the least.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
323 Posts
I have a 72SS that was built at the Leed's plant and delivered to Branine Chevrolet in Mulvane, KS. I sent to the Kansas Bureau of motor vehicles for the owner history (2002). At the time it cost $10 and I had to fill out a form on there web site. I got all the title/registration info from the day it was delivered to the day it left Kansas. They do have the info but they changed the privacy laws post 2002 and this info is no longer available to the general public. If the car was in your dads name you should be able to get a duplicate title.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The latest:
My father took the application for duplicate title down to the county tag office.
They researched the VIN, and could not find it in the system.
Then, they told him that the VIN should be 17 characters, not the 13 we have on the application.

My head hearts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts