Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was needing some help breaking down the VIN on a car I just bought. It was sold to me as a '71 Chevelle SS LS5 car.

The VIN is 136371L104327. From what I know this is a 1st digit - 1 - Chevrolet
2nd digit - 3 - Chevelle
3rd digit - 6 - V-8
4th & 5th - 37 - 2 door hardtop
6th - 1 - '71 model
7th - L - Los Angeles
and the last six digit the production sequence code.

Have I got this right, or is there something I'm missing? Is there anything else in the VIN or the tag on firewall that would tell me that it is a true LS-5 (or even SS for that matter). 12 bolt rear-end, T.H. 400 auto, air, power steering, power brakes, and it appears to have the correct dash but didn't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Try posting this in the tag team section..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
From what I see you broke it down correctly. Unfortunately the vin and cowl plate will not tell you if your car is an SS or not. After (I believe) 1967 the SS was an option on the Chevelle and not identifiable in the vin. The only way to be 100% sure your car is an SS is from the Build Sheet, Protecto Plate or the original bill of sale. See if you can locate the Build Sheet sometimes found behind the back seat, behind the door panels, under the carpet, on top of the gas tank and possibly tucked away in the springs of the front seat, may be in one of those places.

Good luck

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys. I will check for the build sheet and protecto plate when I get the car.

Sounds like the guys working on the production lines had some interesting places to hide the build sheets. And I guess that is assuming they remembered to put in with the car 30 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.