Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new engine in my car its a carbed 1992 350 l98 I was cranking it up when I hear this sizzling sound coming from the postive post on the battery. I quickley removed the + terminal and now when I try and reconnect it its like im shorting the postive and negtive battery terminal it was working fine then all a sudden that sizzling and and sparks. could it be the starter and help?

------------------

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Check to see if the positive cable got pinched and shorted to ground when you dropped in the engine. If you have headers, they can burn off the insulation and short out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had my headers burn though the positive cable near the starter and caused the same problems. Like JWagner stated, check it out. I ended up rerouting my positive cable to prevent it from happening again. Man headers can be a PITA at times.

------------------
T-Bone

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the first time I started the engine since it was put in I have manifolds but they wherent even warm. I was cranking it up and then all a sudden it started frying im going to look under the car tomarrow and see if any thing is touching but I really doubt its the wire but Ill check any way

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Carefully check all starter solenoid connections, if anything got smashed, broke or terminals shifted, you may have your short at that point under the car.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just a hunch, but check to see that the starter isn't still engaged. That would make it try to draw a bunch of current. Rock the motor by the crank pulley.

Peter

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank every body the cable hd gotten pinched behind the starter . thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts