Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Two weeks ago the wife and bought some new cell phones from Verizon. We went with the Blackberry Storm. I thought it looked like a pretty cool phone, but the reception is very poor.I get alot more dropped calls than I did with my old phone. The battery doesn't last as long either. I understand the battery thing, because theres alot more sucking juice from the batt. I'm just not happy with the reception.
I was wondering if anyone here that has or had the Storm with the same problems, and what you did about it.
I'm thinking about taking them back and getting some different phones. I was looking at the Samsung Rouge, but I'm not sure.
Any suggestions on what to get?

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
I think my wife has the blackberry, and we also use Verizon. When talking to me it doesn't seem to drop calls but the other week she was talking to her dad and it dropped calls a bunch of times. I have a beat up motorola flip phone and it gets better reception than hers or my bud's fancy samsung thing.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I have an LG Dare through Verizon. I had battery trouble with it and they gave me a new one. You could give that a shot.

Also, have you done the *228 thing? That updates any new towers in your area. You're supposed to do it every 6 months or so.

I was having problems on vacation in NH so I did it and fixed the reception problem.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I would try updating the roam capability, *228, and then talk to Verizon. I have had them forever and they seem to deal with the problems we have had. If you get a bad rep. at a store, try another store, there is a night and day difference just as in everything in life.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have found out that if the phone is in a bad location and always searching for a signal...the battery will die quick.
I have a GZ-0ne and if left on the kitchen counter its fine... leave it on dinning table, its dead in the morning. Look for low bars.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey Guys,
Two weeks ago the wife and bought some new cell phones from Verizon. We went with the Blackberry Storm. I thought it looked like a pretty cool phone, but the reception is very poor.I get alot more dropped calls than I did with my old phone. The battery doesn't last as long either. I understand the battery thing, because theres alot more sucking juice from the batt. I'm just not happy with the reception.
I was wondering if anyone here that has or had the Storm with the same problems, and what you did about it.
I'm thinking about taking them back and getting some different phones. I was looking at the Samsung Rouge, but I'm not sure.
Any suggestions on what to get?
Hey this is what you do first, get those blackberry storms and take em back and get any other phone. I'm a PDA/smartphone "geek". I love smartphones. But the blackberry storm is OVERRATED and a piece of crap to me. I have a HTC 6800 (verizon) and a 8gb and 16gb iphone 3g (at&t). I love my HTC 6800 better than anything, I toyed around with EVERY blackberry to ever come to verizon/alltel. And the STORM was by far the worst and overrated. Go back and get the HTC PRO and you will NOT look back. TRUST ME. The HTC PRO is the upgrade version of my HTC 6800. And I got my mom the HTC PRO and put ALL the great programs on it for her. Its a mini PC.:yes: The battery life with the HTC 6800/PRO is superb. If you have any questions you can PM me about anything concerning the HTC PRO or iphones. GOODLUCK

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Brian, I don't know much about the storm except it did/does have problems.

I bought the Rogue about a month ago. Calls are excellent which for me was
the most important. Have not dropped one call since getting it. Camera is also
very nice. I picked up a 4 gig card for it and now can just transfer picts to
the computer otherwise you have to upload them to Verizons site. This is
my first smartphone and really like it but its still a learning curve for me. Also
the manual doesn't tell you everything you want to know. Any questions I'll
try to answer;)

Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,106 Posts
I got one of THE first Storms from VZW. I use it all over the world with no problems. I ditched a World Edition Blackberry for this one. The reception on this one has been more reliable. It's a little quirky on the keyboard but I love the larger screen. Don't know what else to say.
The iPhone is a more tactile friendly phone than the Storm, but we have a Blackberry server at work, so that's what I get.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
make sure your in a coverage area, if your having trouble at home, you may be somewhat out of range-they can tell you if they have coverage or not, a higher wattage phone may work, but anything weaker will have problems

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I've had my storm since january and recently got a new tour from work to replace my old 8703. I love the big screen and usability of the storm although I have noticed that my tour gets better reception. That being said the storm got better reception than the 8703. My wife had a world edition this year and recently went to a storm as the WE just wasn't as functional and was causing problems with her email.

There are ways to improve the battery life just google it and you will find many links... Also if you read through the manual you find out that you need to drain down the battery to build up the battery life... I went from every day to every other day on a charge and that is with heavy usage and data transfer. Verizon is definitely not making any money off of my plan as I use a lot of data bandwith!

If you dont need a blackberry there are plenty of phones that do a lot and may be better suited to you.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My new Verizon phones battery crapped out within a week. I got a new battery from them, but it still doesn't last as long as the battery in my old phone........also, stuff pops up on the screen trying to sell me junk I don't want.

I have heard there is a "senior" cell phone that just has the bare minimum of features. I want one.......all the crap the phone I have can do is wasted on me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Go to www.crackberry.com and they have a lot of tips to lengthen the battery life. My wife had to use my storm once and commented how great the reception was compared to her flip phone (Gleam I think?).

·
Premium Member
7,106 Posts
I forgot to add this earlier on battery life. There are certain applications that you can run that are great. But, they run in the background and do kill your battery quickly. The two that get me are Navigation and Instant Messaging. If I forget and leave them running my battery life will be cut down to hours instead of the normal day I normally get out of it.

Also, most of the time I have either my car or PC with me so it's easy to give it a 'sip' of juice. The only time I've been left without battery is when I've accidentally left it on while on an overseas flight.

(PS. You must get some coverage in the air because I've gotten voicemail message reminders, emails and text messages while in the air.) Which reminds me of an annoying occurrence: Even when I do turn it off, it comes back on. Not sure what triggers that.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys for all the help.
My wife and I went to the Verizon store and talked to a Rep about our phones.
She also suggested that we try the *228 when we get home.
She sending a tech out to our problem areas where we're not getting good coverage to check out the signal strength.

I'll check out the Crackberry website as well. (Thanks John)
We have 2 more weeks to decide if we still want to keep the Storms. They told us we can trade them for different phones, but its a one time deal. The Rep also said they charge a $35 restocking fee per phone upon return.:sad:
I figured if we're not satisfied, we should be able to return them
without a fee.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks Guys for all the help.
My wife and I went to the Verizon store and talked to a Rep about our phones.
She also suggested that we try the *228 when we get home.
She sending a tech out to our problem areas where we're not getting good coverage to check out the signal strength.

I'll check out the Crackberry website as well. (Thanks John)
We have 2 more weeks to decide if we still want to keep the Storms. They told us we can trade them for different phones, but its a one time deal. The Rep also said they charge a $35 restocking fee per phone upon return.:sad:
I figured if we're not satisfied, we should be able to return them
without a fee.
Verizon told me the about the "fee" also......what a crock, if the thing isn't satisfactory there is no way you should be required to pay to get one that is.:angry:

·
Registered
729 Posts
I see more & more complaints about verizon phones these days. Just seems like they have a bunch of garbage phones anymore. I've had a verizon cell account for years & I have the original EN-v & am elligible to "upgrade". I've been looking at their phones & the reviews for them - just garbage. I'm afraid to upgrade into one of these phones yet the battery on mine dosen't last as long as it used to & some of the buttons are starting to fail. What to do, what to do...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see more & more complaints about verizon phones these days. Just seems like they have a bunch of garbage phones anymore. I've had a verizon cell account for years & I have the original EN-v & am elligible to "upgrade". I've been looking at their phones & the reviews for them - just garbage. I'm afraid to upgrade into one of these phones yet the battery on mine dosen't last as long as it used to & some of the buttons are starting to fail. What to do, what to do...
Brian, with what you've just said, if your happy with the old EN-v,
maybe you might consider going to craigslist or e-bay and try and find the same phone you have but in better shape?

I wish I would have done more research on these phones.
There was nothing wrong with the phones we had. I've had my phone (Motorola E815) for about 3 years and wanted to get a Storm because I thought they were cool. My wifes phone (Moto Krzr)
needed a new batt. so I thought this would be a good time to upgrade to the storms. Buy one for 49.95 and get a second one for free, with a $100 rebate. Now that we see why, I'm not so sure we got a very good deal. We might just go back to our old phones and forget about the storms for awhile. We'll see what happens in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can't beat the verizon boulder phone...nothing fancy just tough! dropped in all kinds of liquids, no probs...As of verizon service i can't figure it out...Had alltel great service...switched to verizon cause i heard they bought them out...figured i'de have even better service...hell no, that and my bill is so forked up every month...always some kinda fee. I'm a simple kinda guy, seems like everyone these days has some kinda BS fee or somethen to get an extra buck out of you these days...wish everything was a flat price a month. be to easy...Anyways sorry for getting off the topic, good luck with your phones...hi-tech = problems to come.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Worst phone ever those Storms. I got two of them as well and I work in the phone industry. My issue is I need to stay with Verizon but I want an Iphone. Should be coming to Verizon soon I hope.

Or maybe I go with AT&T and pick my five family members on Verizon as friends then those are still free calls as well. hmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts