Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 just had a rubber hose coming out of the gas tank and not the vent tube. I decided to put a vent tube in, and for the first time I got gas, when I took the gas cap off there was pressure that popped the cap out of my hand.
This never happened when there was just the rubber hose used. I do have a non vented gas cap. Is this pressure in the tank normal?

Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
It sounds like the vent tube or hose is not allowing pressure relief. Is it possible that a clamp is too tight, a hose or tube is collapsed or maybe blocked with some foreign object? Your car should have the non-vented cap unless it is a wagon or El Camino.

As an aside it is normally bad to overfill a tank on a car with a vapor recovery system. Obviously your '67 doesn't have such a feature but it is still bad to overfill the tank. Gas could actually get forced up through the vent tube and spill out under the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I first got my car, I was having the same problem. My tank was expanding and did not notice until my son said there was a hissing sound coming from the tank. When I released the cap, you could actually see the tank return to normal. It was so bad that the fuel ended up going up into the lines and thru the pump and flooding out. When i pulled the tank, I noticed that the previous owner had capped the vent tube ?????. I know this is not your problem, but I would get the vent tube problem fixed to relieve the pressure.

Len

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.