Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what y'all thought about the show on TV - takes place in the midwest and is basically street racing. I am amazed at the
speed of the vehicles but wonder why it is allowed.

Just curious about safety, the crazy speeds and the interesting start sequence.

Obviously, it must be ok with the locals - cops, citizens etc.

·
Registered
14,989 Posts
If its like street outlaws, imn pretty sure the tv show has it set up with local police and fire departments. Notice in the background you see ambulances etc. How else do they get away with the huge lights etc.
Im just imagining its probably just like when a movie company wants to shoot a movie in a town or city. Get the permits, pay to close off certain streets, pay for cops and emergency crews. Buy a bond in case any property gets damaged.
Now the fools doing this stuff for real on the streets not for tv is a different scenario putting other peoples lives at risk is really stupid. Jim

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Do you think that there will be racing between self-driving cars? That seems to be the future. With no one in the cars there will be no danger for a driver or passengers.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Do you think that there will be racing between self-driving cars? That seems to be the future. With no one in the cars there will be no danger for a driver or passengers.
absolutely NOT, unless programed to [or hacked...>:) ]

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I can accept that but, I wonder at the speeds, the proximity of the cars next to each other - no barriers on either side - no barriers to prevent the
cars from leaving the track...

We have a track here in Medford that restricts cars from going too fast... ie. nitro burning dragsters.... and it has all the protections.

I agree with you that street racing is never good.

We are getting snow! Whee..... yeah...... bah humbug.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
I was wondering what y'all thought about the show on TV - takes place in the midwest and is basically street racing. I am amazed at the
speed of the vehicles but wonder why it is allowed.

Just curious about safety, the crazy speeds and the interesting start sequence.

Obviously, it must be ok with the locals - cops, citizens etc.
i can't find it on the schedule:nerd:
what day/time do you see it???

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
i think street racing is cool when they block off both ends of a street in an industrial dist etc. some risk makes it fun thats just the way it is. ive drag raced over 30 years on the track but if i had a fast street car hell yes i would street race it. my main concern would be cops. as far as the show goes i didnt know about it but i will check it out. one more thing; if they dont like street racing stop closing tracks

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
There will be some sort of racing series. There is a racing series for drones, who would have thought. However, I don't foresee it replacing those with human drivers anytime soon.

Steve R

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,679 Posts
i think street racing is cool when they block off both ends of a street in an industrial dist etc. some risk makes it fun thats just the way it is. ive drag raced over 30 years on the track but if i had a fast street car hell yes i would street race it. my main concern would be cops. as far as the show goes i didnt know about it but i will check it out. one more thing; if they dont like street racing stop closing tracks
:cool: My main concern is killing some innocent person, someone with their whole life ahead of them...

These shows are just like all the other "reality" TV shows.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Someone I used to work with killed a spectator at a street race. A couple of people got into a fight at the "finish line" and some rocket scientist yelled "cops" to break it up. Predictably the crowd scattered, a 14 year old girl ran right in front of the cars that were on a run. In the grand scheme of things, what the legal system did to him doesn't compare to the guilt a normal person would go through.

Steve R

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I kind of like the show. Waayy too much drama and that freekin music when they're racing. And the foolish antics of Farmtruck guy and Asian....I'd rather see more about the cars, engines and racing.

And these are NOT street cars. I think a "street" car should be registered and driven to the race.

Reactions: 70CHEVELLE396

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I can accept that but, I wonder at the speeds, the proximity of the cars next to each other - no barriers on either side - no barriers to prevent the
cars from leaving the track...

We have a track here in Medford that restricts cars from going too fast... ie. nitro burning dragsters.... and it has all the protections.

I agree with you that street racing is never good.

We are getting snow! Whee..... yeah...... bah humbug.
Medford,mass? My mother is from there originally

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Strictly Attitude - Oregon.

We have enough issues around here with rice burners and 4x4 pickups all trying to be the bad guy on the street. I was concerned about the street racing - and it is indeed TV - the drama is all planned.

In my book, it would be better sanctioned at a track.

Regardless, I DO like the fast pickup!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The show definitely started with that illegal feel but has moved towards a grudge racer on unpreped blacktop drag racing. I am glad they are going to get away from the pro-mods and back to more of a street car. Even though the only real street cars on that list are gone. Good to watch the racing but take it for what it is entertainment.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
well my take on the show its entertaining i like it, in the 70s we raced as they do, not as fast but fast for the day, the other thing did you look on the ground it has reflectors its a private airport away from any towns, in okc theres plenty of space, i been there im sure others have as well, i think thats why there are lights and medical, its an private airport , so someone knows someone etc. most of the guys are shop owners so they must take care of the saftey, years ago your right we block streets some made bets in a dinner or on the side, race tracks were far away from where we lived, cars would come on trailers from all over we watch for cops, no cell phones just flashlights, it kept all on there toes

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think roadkill nights in Pontiac Michigan looks awesome , where you street race but it's an organized legal event

·
Registered
312 Posts
and I hate that plus the constant annoying bleep...bleep... bleeps
(Not to mention that they are promoting street racing even though it's not real.)
If you guys are referring to the Street Outlaws show, yeah I watch it once in a while.
I must be getting old because I also get tired of all the profanity bleeps.

On that show they race 1/8 of a mile and their cars are practically funny cars.
They call themselves street racers because they are supposedly racing on an un-preped surface.
You can tell it's very controlled, and like Dean said before, "IT'S TV".

Although I know it's something that is not promoted on this forum, the only thing I've enjoyed from that show is watching that Volkswagen scream thru an 1/8 of mile.
But even that is staged - they have cameras attached all over the cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts