Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 chevelle ss 396/325. The prior owner put a holley carb on it, and disgaurd the smog system. My question is reguarding possible vapor lines that run parellel with the fuel line, from the tank to the area near the fuel pump. I know it is a vapor line because it has vapor stamped on it. At present it is cut and plugged. Is this a vapor line? From what I have read and seen 69 did not have a carcoal filter, but then where would this line run to. Please help, because I have had gas leak out of this hose on a very hot day, just after I filled the tank. I would love to fix this situation, for authenticity and safety. Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Charles,
The line you're describing is the fuel return line. In the old days, this was called a vapor line as its purpose was to prevent vapor lock by returning fuel vapor to the fuel tank while passing liquid fuel on to the carburetor. '69's did not have a vapor cannister. Click here to see a picture of my correct '69 396.
www.geocities.com/~69_chevelle/fuel.jpg

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so very much. Your picture and reply was extremely helpful. I soon will be looking for the parts I need , along with the original q-jets. I am glad I have that question answered because I was seriously worried.

[This message has been edited by charles69 (edited 08-26-99).]

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 72 402 with the charcoal canister. The mechanical fuel pump was replaced and the return line poorly plugged. I can't fill my tank to the brim due to leakage. I also found a nasty vacuum leak fixed by bypassing the canister.
Here's the question: Can I plug off all of the lines at the gas tank except the fuel line to the pump? Will the tank then need to be vented with a vented type of gas cap? My rubber fuel lines coming off the tank look VERY tired and I want to change them or kill them. I don't have any particular love of the canister and am not required to pass smog any more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DaleP - If you pull any of your smog stuff off, keep it. I too live in Calif and drive a '68. We are exempt from the 2 year smog tests, but could be hammered on a roadside check (which I beleive they still do). The new law doesn't say we can remove anything, just don't have to test anymore. Unfortunately for me, the previous owner pulled the smog pump and threw it all away. Knowing California and the heavy environmental brigade here, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change the smog inspection law in the future - if not for the environment, then for the votes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.