Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to pass along that valvoline conventional racing oil &
valvoline synthetic racing oil both contain extra zinc which is needed for flat tappet cams.
conventional comes in 10w-30 , 20w-50 , and 50
synthetic 5 w-30 , 10w -30 , 20w -50
I used to get it @ superamerica gas stations but they sold out a while back and now I get it at my local parts store but they have to order the conventional racing oil but its out there with added zinc!
Not to be used in any cat converter car though.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
ah Superamerica, brings back memories. They were once owned by Ashland Oil who also owned Valvoline. Superamerica was the lasgest seller of the oil. Evey Summer there was a big sales event, Each SA store's manager was in competition for a trip to Hawaii, in turn they would put up prizes for the employees to help generate sales. As I recall the only people we could not sell to was NAPA. But the prices our sale had was cheaper than wholesale stores paid for it.
The last year I worked at one by co-worker and I bought a mid 60's ex-highway department Ford Econoline van (real tires piece of junk lol) We paid like $175 for it and then rented it to our station for $250 for the week and a half of the sale, then painted Valvoline and the store location on the side of the van with paint brushes.
We decided to head out to Minnesota Dragways one Sunday to sell some racing oil. Packed the van with 50 cases and headed out. When we got there it was a bit boring so I decided I would enter the van in the drags lol.
Now mind you this thing was a 6c yl with a column stick shift that would NOT go into 2nd unless you were real lucky or tried 20 times. But everytime I came up to the line the guy in the announcers booth would throw out this great ad telling people where we were in the pits selling oil.
ET for my trips down the track? a neck snapping 27 seconds lol. I would have trophied if not for a darn thunder storm. In the end I was the biggest seller at my store, sold somewhere around 250 cases of oil over that 10 days

I can't help but think of those days when I see Valvoilne

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes those valvoline owned superamerica's practically gave their oil away!
The main one on verona rd in madison wi had 5 shelves, 1/2 the lengh of the store with just valvoline oil and many many cases stacked up all over the area.
They always stocked racing oil, super hpo straight weights etc..
They are now speedways and don't stock the oil anything like before.
Most auto parts stock the VR1 racing but its a newer blend oil without zinc.
Most parts stores will have to order the zinc contained oils as it's not a big seller.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
at our store the oil was brought in and stacked outside, a massive display at least 10 case high 5 deep the length of a tractor trailer worth.. I worked a special shift just to watch the oil since we closed at midnight.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Verona huh? I have family in that area, along with Mt Horeb. My wife's uncle owns a pretty well known christmas tree farm in that area. My brother builds in the area, my Niece and her husband are big time real estate people with Webber

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Depley, off topic but
I have friends living in both towns,
my counsins husband owns the Verona insurance agency and an old high school buddy is a detective with the Mt Horeb police dept.I always stop by the cop shop and bug him when we work over that way.
plus I have many friends through out the area in and around both towns.
I beleive Weber and First realtor merged and are now First Weber Group.
What christmas tree farm do they own?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts