Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

As I'm still gathing my components together, I feel like I'm lacking some components. It's been about 8 years since I've put some heads together, muchless I've never assembled anything to retrofit roller setup. Help me with missing items. Here's what I've got for head assembly:

GM Cast Iron heads (353049)
2.19 intake
1.88 exhaust
Camshaft - Comp 11-451-8 .547 lift 112 lsa (Went with Gary's recommendation / Marine grind)
Springs - Comp 928-16
Retainers - Comp 741-16 (Steel retainers / not lightweight)
Rockers Arms - Comp 1130-16 (Pro Magnum's / not Ultra Pro Magnums)
Lifters - Comp 854-16
Polylocks - Crower 86050S-16 (Short to fit under short valve cover)

Still waiting to assemble to get the correct 1 pc magnum push rods.

Seems like I'm missing something or 2.

Thanks,
Gerald

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I see you have polylocks on the list for the rockers, but I don't see valve locks to match your retainers.

For my money I also check installed height on all the springs, especially on something with bigger valves installed, so possibly some spring shims or locators depending on where you want your installed height to be.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valve locks would be an important item. I knew I was forgetting something.

Thanks for the suggestion on checking the installed height of the springs. This will be checked around the same time that the pushrods are checked. I have a micrometer and have used shims in the past, but not exactly sure what a locator would be used for. I've dug around on Comps website and there's not very much of a description or what it's used for.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
A "locator" is kind of like an inside-out cup... a "cup" locates the OD of the spring, but a "locator" locates the spring by its ID. Obviously to use a cup the pocket has to be a good bit bigger than the spring but a "locator" will often fit in a stock 1.55" pocket.

Other than that, same principle. Both of them are about .060" thick on the bottom IIRC, meaning you lose that much installed height (or, use that much less shim, as the case may be).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found on Comps website and now it makes sense. I'm sure most people use spring cups and add shims as what I'm more familiar with. The locator principle seems interesting and I'll investigate as I move forward. If anyone has pros vs cons on the spring cup setup vs spring locator setup, I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-'Valve Spring Accessories'-0.aspx

Thanks

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yeah, i used locators because the OD of the spring was already too close to the spring pocket, so I couldn't fit the ridge on a spring cup.

The locator's worked great, and located the spring on the ID of the inner spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts