Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarrassing to even ask this question, but am I missing something? The heads are off the motor.
I have both the wonder bar style, and the claw style and I can't for the life of me get the valve springs down for the locks to be exposed. The compressor tool compresses the spring, but that's it. I even had a small socket underneath on the valve head to keep the valve closed. I even watched videos on how to do it, and it's just not happening.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Can you see the keepers? I'm not sure what type you are using, sometimes the keepers stick to the retainer and a light tap on the retainer (not the valve stem) to pop em loose.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you see the keepers? I'm not sure what type you are using, sometimes the keepers stick to the retainer and a light tap on the retainer (not the valve stem) to pop em loose.
The problem is the springs do not expose the keepers when it compresses

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
You are probably pushing the valve open when you are compressing the spring ? Just smack the face of the valve with a small hammer, you wont hurt it. If that is not the problem then a picture would help figure it out ?

Is the retainer moving down the valve at all ? Sometimes the locks will get stuck pretty good. What I do before starting is to smack each retainer with a small hammer on one edge to break the locks loose.

Thats all I can think of without being there to see what you are doing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are probably pushing the valve open when you are compressing the spring ? Just smack the face of the valve with a small hammer, you wont hurt it. If that is not the problem then a picture would help figure it out ?

Is the retainer moving down the valve at all ? Sometimes the locks will get stuck pretty good. What I do before starting is to smack each retainer with a small hammer on one edge to break the locks loose.

Thats all I can think of without being there to see what you are doing.
Bill, this is the first time I've tried doing this, and now that you mention it, yes the valves are just opening when I try doing it. The retainer is not moving at all

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Bill, this is the first time I've tried doing this, and now that you mention it, yes the valves are just opening when I try doing it. The retainer is not moving at all

Just smack the side of the retainer with a small hammer once you get some pressure on the spring.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep^^^, what he said.

The keepers and the retainer wedge themselves together and stick, you've got the shock them a bit to break that "stiction".
You'll often have to pry the keepers off the valvestem also, they won't just fall off when the retainer is loose once they have been run for a while..

·
Premium Member
6,702 Posts
I made one for the price of a C clamp from Menards.

Attachments

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
Reactions: Stokerboats

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
And I used a simple Lisle on engine compressor.

Are you using air to supoort the valves? I prefer an old length of ignition wire, well siliconed, or a slippery rope. I rap the retainers right down the line with a rubber mallet HARD to "loosen" them before I try to remove them.

PS my old machinist scribe, with its magnetic tip, is AWESOME for retrieving the locks. I couldnt do without it.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
And I used a simple Lisle on engine compressor.

Are you using air to supoort the valves? I prefer an old length of ignition wire, well siliconed, or a slippery rope. I rap the retainers right down the line with a rubber mallet HARD to "loosen" them before I try to remove them.

PS my old machinist scribe, with its magnetic tip, is AWESOME for retrieving the locks. I couldnt do without it.
Heads are OFF the car

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,949 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts