Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i was screwing in my valve screws for my valve covers one of them broke in the hole and i cant get it out i hope i dont need to replace the block just for that
HELP PLEASE

------------------

·
Registered
335 Posts
Remove the valve cover and gasket and see if there is a little of the bolt sticking up. Maybe use pliers to remove. Or take a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut a slot in the top of the broken bolt. Turn out with screwdriver. If that doesn't do it, cuss a little, then get out the drill and drill a hole and use an easy out. Don't break the easy out, real big trouble then. tom

·
Registered
368 Posts
Other things that work:
- Buy a left hand drill. Process of drilling into the screw will frequently back out the broken part. Correct tap drill for 1/4"-20 is a #7 but 3/16" should be close enough.
- If thread is severely damaged, get a 1/4"-20 HeliCoil kit, then drill, tap and install a HeliCoil.
Be careful to keep the chips ont of the motor.
Problem with EasyOuts. If you break one in the hole, you'll have to pull the head and take it to a tool shop where they can "burn" it out using EDM.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 03-25-99).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
i once broke a exhaust manifold bolt in the head.i used a drill with a swivel on it and used a carbide bit.i drilled most of it out and retapped the hole.put another bolt in and havn't had any problems.i put hitemp silicone on gaskets just in case but it's been o.k so far. about 4yrs.

p.s.be carefull with carbide bit!they are expensive and they are brittle.

[This message has been edited by elc66 (edited 03-26-99).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.