·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Something just does not look right. I am not a expert so will let the guys in the know figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Impossible to tell anything from your picture but they look fine to me. What do think does not look right ?

·
Vendor
9,154 Posts
Just got my engine back from the builder, I had the valve covers off and noticed the Valve Retainers and locks look a little weird, I'm running Edelbrock RPM heads with 11/32 Valves;

What do you guys think??

I'm using 10 Degree Retainers & locks

- Manley Street Master Steel Standard Valve Spring Retainers 23636-16
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/man-23636-16

- Manley 10 Degree Machined Standard Valve Locks 13097-16
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/man-13097-16
That's pretty far for a set of keepers to extend above a retainer. That needs to come apart and verify lock angle and included angle on retainer.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
That's pretty far for a set of keepers to extend above a retainer. That needs to come apart and verify lock angle and included angle on retainer.
I kinda thought that Chris, it almost looks to me like there is something in the locks keeping them from sitting into the groove on the valve, the space is way too wide. I have all edelbrock stuff on my heads and the keepers are almost touching with a much smaller gap and they do sit near flush.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Impossible to tell anything from your picture but they look fine to me. What do think does not look right ?
Those keepers or locks are not sitting in there correctly is what I see. The gap also looks wrong on between them.

Reactions: NickeyChevelle

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
I just put together a set of Comp retainers and locks and they definitely sit further down in the retainer. But that really doesn't mean anything.. That's also why I said in my original reply that its impossible to tell from your picture :) Probably not a bad idea to pull one off and see how it fits the retainer / valve.

One other thing I noticed in your picture but it is really the wrong angle to tell for sure . . . . how far down in the polylock is the set screw ? Cant see it in the picture which tells me it is pretty far down and might not be allowing much thread engagement on the stud. You might need longer studs.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I just put together a set of Comp retainers and locks and they definitely sit further down in the retainer. But that really doesn't mean anything.. That's also why I said in my original reply that its impossible to tell from your picture :) Probably not a bad idea to pull one off and see how it fits the retainer / valve.

One other thing I noticed in your picture but it is really the wrong angle to tell for sure . . . . how far down in the polylock is the set screw ? Cant see it in the picture which tells me it is pretty far down and might not be allowing much thread engagement on the stud. You might need longer studs.
good eye Bill. That lock does either look to be missing or way down inside.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There looks to be a definite issue. Looks like the retainer could be a 7 and not 10 deg. Or did you verify that those are NOT a 3/8 valve steam. The locks like like there us a good size gap in there that im not used to seeing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Those locks definitely are not seated on the valve stem or in the retainer correctly.
What diameter are the valves supposed to be, compared to what the locks are made for?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Edelbrock Valve Diameter Is 11/32" here are the specs for the following parts;

Manley Street Master Steel Retainers 1.550" Spring O.D.

1.550'' Spring O.D.
Double/Triple Spring Type
(A) 1.500'' O.D.
(B) 1.130'' I.D.
(C) 0.735''
(D) 0.640''
Standard Height
10° Keeper x ''All'' Valve Stem
29 Grams
16/pkg.

Manley 10° Steel Valve Locks 11/32" Valve Stem (.3415" )
10° Steel Valve Locks
11/32'' Valve Stem (.3415'')

Conventional Groove
Standard Height
6.8 grams
16/pkg

I called Manley up and sent them pictures and they said it looks totally normal.

The rocker arms poly nut has 0.485" of thread engagement on the ARP rocker studs which works out to be 9.5 turns, I was told 5 turns was minimum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
The Edelbrock Valve Diameter Is 11/32" here are the specs for the following parts;

Manley Street Master Steel Retainers 1.550" Spring O.D.

1.550'' Spring O.D.
Double/Triple Spring Type
(A) 1.500'' O.D.
(B) 1.130'' I.D.
(C) 0.735''
(D) 0.640''
Standard Height
10° Keeper x ''All'' Valve Stem
29 Grams
16/pkg.

Manley 10° Steel Valve Locks 11/32" Valve Stem (.3415" )
10° Steel Valve Locks
11/32'' Valve Stem (.3415'')

Conventional Groove
Standard Height
6.8 grams
16/pkg

I called Manley up and sent them pictures and they said it looks totally normal.

The rocker arms poly nut has 0.485" of thread engagement on the ARP rocker studs which works out to be 9.5 turns, I was told 5 turns was minimum.
Those pics the keeprs look right but that first pic looks off. maybe they needed to settle?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts