Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna pull my GMPP 454HO to fix a small pesky pan leak and decided to go ahead and paint the block orange and put on a set of chrome VCs to match the look of my stock 454.

I thought I read where I needed a taller set of VCs to clear the internals. Anyone have any info on that or own a GMPP 454 that they have replaced the VCs?

I also was given a new set of ceramic headers for my 454. Will they fit or is there any mods needed to the body/suspension to get them to clear?

Thanks,
ASO544

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I used the stock chrome valve covers off my 396 on a 454HO. The 454 has the same stamped rockers as the 396. As far as the headers there may be a problem with the flange and lower row of head bolts. The head bolts are like ARP's and have a higher profile. May hit the flange on the header, keeping it from sitting flat and lining up properly. You can replace the bolts with ones that have a lower profile, grind the heads down some, or grind the header flange. I ground the head bolts down. Did the same on the 396 ARP head bolts. I didn't want to grind through the ceramic on the headers, figured they would start rusting there right away. As far as other fitment it depends on the brand. Many need a little ding here or there to clear the control arms. Make sure you slide the headers in before you drop the engine all the way in. They usually don't want to go in once the motor is all buttoned up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.