Chevelles.com banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
274 Posts
Based on the pics & info I’d say $15k would be too much. I found a ‘67 nice 138 roller with original M21 & posi diff (3:73 I think) for asking $15k. Has some rust but mostly all there. If it was closer to me instead of 1/2 way across the country I’d be very tempted! My wife would rather me find a nicer example but when you restore one all the way it definitely means more imo as long as the car has good bones to start with!

A nice complete ‘67 SS Marina Blue Chevelle (all original supposedly except for a rebuild on the L35) just auctioned on Hemmings sold for $39k & change. I’d rather go that route and make it perfect!

·
Registered
1966 Chevelle SS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
if that car is worth 30 then my 66SS must be worth at least 70K
hes nuts to want 30 for that! Id buy a done clone first....really whats the "its original" stuff realy worth to you? 30k gets you a real nice restored ride these days...lots ask way more but are they selling?
$30,000?

KEEP ON SEARCHING!

Yeah I shot over an email re: the asking price mentioned that its very close to what it costs to buy a completely restored one from a dealer in any flavor. But giiving him the benefit of the doubt I requested information that he might've omitted or if there's something I missed like the motor and trans come with it, or it comes on a trailer and I'll deliver anywhere or I have a full interior kit just not installed. Well, I'll keep on keepin on. Might post potential buys to get some opinions but hopefully my next thread will be announcing the purchase and documenting the process. To be clear, if I understand what many of you said was that the value of a true 138 is subjective and for 3rd party valuation - the original motor and transmission must also match basically an all or nothing deal with "matching numbers"?

·
Premium Member
17,435 Posts
...To be clear, if I understand what many of you said was that the value of a true 138 is subjective and for 3rd party valuation - the original motor and transmission must also match basically an all or nothing deal with "matching numbers"?
IMO, I'd say that a fair assessment, but others opinions may vary...

138 just proves it was a real SS from the factory, but other then the original equipment that came on an SS and didn't on a 136 Malibu (396 engine, 12-bolt rear axle and SS hood) there really isn't much to differentiate the two under the skin... So why would the value differ much? Born with engine, sure that ups the value... So yeah, by itself the "138" will add value, but not that much. "collectors" (where the big money is) are going to look past a car without the original drivetrain.

IMO, that $30k seems high for that car...

I could probably be persuaded to part with my '66 138 for around $30k+ (I am in NorCal too, on a non-op, clear title, owned for 35+ years)... Solid frame and floors, quarters, etc... factory 4-speed, original 12-bolt posi, frame/chassis all rebuild (body still off the frame), factory bucket seat/console/gauge car... Includes a "running" 396/Muncie.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts