Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help and guidance. I'm in the final stages of making a decision as to whether or not to purchase a 1969 Chevelle Convt. It's not an SS. It has a 350 rebuilt engine (not original), auto on the column, new paint, new top, new interior, new tires. It is maroon with white interior and top. It currently has slotted wheels on it, however it comes with another set of wheels (look like the old keystones). I am trying to determine the value of this car. It seems to be in pretty good condition with the exception of the sheetmetal underneath the back seat which is rotted (The rest of the floor has been replaced and is solid). The car comes with some extra parts....a console shifter, front brake calipers, and the original a/c unit (I checked behind the dash, all duct work is there). Can someone help me to determine the value of this car or point me in the right direction.
Thanks to all. 1969

R

·
0 Posts
After reading your post, I think you should ask yourself the following:
Do I feel like spending more money, in the future, on shoddy body work that was done on this car

I say this because of your comment on the floor under the back seat. If the present owner has gone through the trouble of:
1) Replacing floor pans under the front? seats. Why not fix the rest of the problem?
2) New paint
3) New top
4) New interior
He's done alot of work already, but what kind of workmanship did do? And is he given up on a piece of crap?

If the floor under the back seat is rotted, and the front was replaced, then the car probably started out rusty ALL OVER! He's fixed most of the stuff you can easily see and is probably trying to make a quick buck! New paint hides a lot of sins! But how long until paint and body work starts to bubble up and lift off the car? I think you are looking at "a hammer". And there is probably many more problem areas you can't see!

Unless this car is a good deal ($3000-$4000 + or -) and you are prepared to spend some bucks to correct shoddy "quickie" work, I'd look elsewhere.

Just my thoughts, but I hate to see people get burned. I'm not there to see the car, but I have a hunch......

Rick

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Rick. I agree with you, why wasn't this work done? I have hesitated buying this car because I can't understand why someone wouldn't complete the floor. The front fenders are new, and the frame looks to be very solid. My concern is about the workmanship. I questioned the seller on this and he told me that he had the car re-possesed from someone who owned him money and the guy he re-possed it from is a competant mechanic and body guy. He's asking $5,700. I don't want to get stuck with a bomb.

[This message has been edited by 1969 (edited 01-28-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
63,502 Posts
Convertible prices seem to just keep getting higher and higher all the time and 5,700 could be pretty resonable even for small block malibu.
With a car that has some known rust there will usually be a lot more that don't show.
Beware, New paint can hide a lot of rust and Bondo which will look good but only for a few months before it starts falling out.

------------------
Dean Call
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

R

·
0 Posts
No problem! If the car was "really" nice, the seller would not be making excuses for its current condition. Believe me, its better to know what you're getting into than paying hard-earned money for a covered-up problem, which is my impression of this car.

Rick

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Sounds like 3 grand to me cause of all the uncertian stuff, but Dean is correct in that all rag tops are on the rise, at 3 to 4 grand u cant get hurt, at 5700 its a push, u know the old saying, if u think u smell a rat more than likely you do, Good Luck, L89SEDAN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your tips. It is really appreciated. I am going to pass up on this convertible, too many unknowns. Is anyone aware of information that I can obtain that highlights what to look for in purchasing a chevelle. Numbers matching and all that stuff doesn't matter to me, I am just looking for a respectable summer cruiser. I am really looking for information that tells me what to look out for ie. known rust out areas, structural problems inherent in convertible, what might or might not be an indication of a major problem vs a minor one...etc...etc. The final thing I am looking for is a chevelle price guide. I'm an old Vette guy and there is an abundance of information available that lists condition and value guidlines specific only to Vettes. I am trying to find the same thing for my new passion, 68-69 chevelle convertibles. Thanks again....1969

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.