Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an OEM vacuum actuated valve for my heater core. It closes with vacuum, and opens without vacuum.

I'm trying to figure out a way to control this via a switch from my dash. I need a touch of heat occasionally for defogging the windshield on these wet days.

Any idea where I could get a 12 volt solenoid valve that small?

Or do you have any other ideas on how to make this work?

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 5-15-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Chad
Maybe try getting an EGR solenoid relay or TCS solenoid relay to control vacuum. They should be a couple of bucks from the junkyard. Add something like that into your existing vacuum line. Maybe bring in another fresh vacuum line into the solenoid and Tee the output line into the existing one. The original line will work as before, but hit a switch, open the solenoid, and your override will activate the system.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
CJ. I've been looking for one for some time now. Only deal is this: You can find a simple solenoid (12v actuated) vavle that has 2 vacuum ports. Works fine, but it allows you to "store" the vaccum when the switch looses power. You would have to incorporate a "bleed off" valve.

You can buy this at most parts places. try www.jameco.com or www.digikey.com and search for "vacum solenoid" or the like.

What I have seen before is this: My old jeep used a turn knob style valve that had 3 posts. middle was source and the two sides where where you wanted to send the vacuum. It works much like our A/C head units do and that one lever controls the flow of air. Our head units use a "off-center" orbital piece that would make dash mounting impossible.

Lemme know what you find please as I need TWO of these. One for "cowl versus reserculated air" and the otehr for "Foot versus defrost" I removed my non working head unit.

-later-

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
BEST 1/8th: 8.252 @ 84.56mph (1.855 sixty foot)
Last years previous best 1/4: 13.1sec @ 105 MPH (2.10 sixty foot)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.