Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,749 Posts
Very Nice Chevelle (y) (y) those Pro1 seat belts have a model or part number? and what are your cam and engine specs? :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Very Nice Chevelle (y) (y) those Pro1 seat belts have a model or part number? and what are your cam and engine specs? :)
Thanks. The car is coming along nicely…been a lot of work for sure as it’s all been garage built.

The belts Pro1 are their Elite sets. Two inch to three inch on the shoulders (for the HANS device) and three inch on the laps. They can be sent in for refresh and recert which I liked. Company was really easy to work with and shipping for me was really fast. I believe they are in Texas. I’m in California.
The cam is a hydraulic roller Comp cam 11-460-8…..244 at .050 and .612 lift on a 110.

Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,749 Posts
I would have thought the cam was much bigger, what compression? :) my 10.7 to 1 489 with a hyd roller 231/239 110 lsa on 107 lsa sounds pretty wimpy compared to your engine (y) but Im going for a/c without a compressor problem

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sorry didn’t see you wanted engine specs too. I’d never built a big block before this one but it feels pretty good. I was hoping for around 600 horses when I put it together. I have not had it on a Dyno. Belpw are the engine specs and really the car it’s self. Still working out the bugs and hoping for a good week on the trsck.

73 289 casting block (2bolt) decked to 0-.004 10.2:1 compression.
Forged SRP pistons with +14 domes (.030 over).solid mounted to the frame
Manly rods, and steel crank.
Hydro/roller cam (comp 11-460-8). Brodix BB-R heads (110cc) with crane roller rockers./Manley pushrods
MSD pro distributor locked at 35* / 6al /master blaster coil
Holley 850dp (9330) race prepped with annular booster
Holley HD 12-454-25 fuel pump
1/2 inch fuel pickup to 8an lines to carb
Edelbrock Rpm air gap intake square port matched to heads
Lemon headers 3.5 out to 17 inch long extensions
Mikes Ultimate transmission with 8” Coan 5000-5500 stall/trans brake
Strange 3.5 diameter drive shaft
Strange S60 with 4.10
UMI rear adjustable arms with AFCO DA shocks and BMR 2 inch lowering springs
BMR Xtreme sway bar in the rear
TRZ front tubular arms with AFCO DA coil overs with 450 lbs springs
295/5515 MT or 28x10.5 slicks
Phil Mandella Racing (PMR) 6 point roll bar

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
10,749 Posts
That sounds like a very solid build to me and I'd bet you're at least 600 hp & tq, I like the sound of your engine (y) :) my 10.7:1 489 sounds milder ( for ac ) and dyno'd 589.? hp & 600.6 tq without a timing light on it just turning by sound or adjusting the carb

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello, I'm just now catching up (and enjoying it)
i was looking at the pictures of the rear calipers and both rear calipers have bleeders on the bottom. i think the bleeders should be on top (so air will rise and can be bleed out easier.)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hello, I'm just now catching up (and enjoying it)
i was looking at the pictures of the rear calipers and both rear calipers have bleeders on the bottom. i think the bleeders should be on top (so air will rise and can be bleed out easier.)
Thanks for the heads up. The calipers have two bleeders though, one on top and one on the bottom. Just how they are made I guess. Haha.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Took the car to its maiden 1/4 mile event (March Meet in May) at Famoso. Weather was hot but the car ran well. Had some traction issues after the initial hit and couldn’t get it dialed in during the weekend. So we lowered the 2-step to 3k and went with it. Over all was a great learning experience with a new car. Nothing broke and was a huge success. Little disappointed in the time and speed but I’ll check things over. Thinking my pinion angle might be too steep. I think I feel a deceleration vibration after the line off the gas. The lack of traction didn’t help the times either. Had a little stumble off the line but installed jet extenders in and it went away. The best I could get was 11.40 @116.00. Car and I were 3850 lbs across the scales. Not too bad for the first time out and not being a suspension wizard. Hahah. Cheers!!! I’m G760 by the way on the slips.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Little update.
Have decided to pull the trigger on my coil overs now. The factory length AFCO shocks just were too long (bodies) for my ride height. So I got some 3850’s and 12 inch springs. Got them installed this morning. Also ordered a new trailer, and a road trip to Texas is about to go down…. Yay. Haha. Gonna be a hot drive.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Got my winch and battery installed. Pretty dang happy with it all. Took the Chevelle to the track and the trailer pulled nicely and tracked really well. Dipped my 60 foot time into the 1.4 area so I was jazzed. Also, three passes back to back to back did 7.25’s in the 1/8. Super stoked with the consistency in the testing. New rear coilovers seemed to be working.
Cheers!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Haven’t been on for quite some time. Got the car to the SCSN17 in Vegas. Won a little money. I have a Glasstek 4 inch cowl hood on order to change the look a little and lighten the front end a bit. Might add a front bumper as well. I added an ET Genie to the engine combo to help dial in my number. Seems to work well. Bought a little scooter for the pits and you can see how it fits with the car on the trailer. It’s perfect for me and what I need. Also added a fitting to my transmission cooler line so I can run my temp gauge and thermostat for the fan.
Also little further back, I won first place in a local show at the Highway Patrol Office with the dodge. Life is busy for sure. Next to add to the car will be a lower engine containment bag, the hood and possibly a different intake and carburetor. I feel I’m not getting the speed I should be on the top end of the track with my combo. We will see.
Cheers!

Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Bicycle part Automotive tire Audio equipment Plumbing Vehicle brake

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Life has been busy. Really not much done on the car lately due to cold winter weather and snow. I did however finally get my hood from Glasstek. It fits really well. Will need some body work and primer. I’ll wait for warmer weather. It’s hinged and seems way lighter than old steel hood.
Cheers!
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
The car looks great! It did well on the strip! trailer is a great thing to have....as for the Dodge Nice looking car also! 340car?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The car looks great! It did well on the strip! trailer is a great thing to have....as for the Dodge Nice looking car also! 340car?
Car has done good on the strip. I’m running the 11.60 bracket and has been pretty consistent. Got the restrictor plate so still learning what is need to get the numbers right. Hs been fun for sure. Not as quick as I had planned but fun none the less. Got an RV to go to the track now so it will be a little more relaxing.

The dodge was a GT 318 car and now has a 360 in it. That car has been a true blast to build. I’m not really a MOPAR guy, but it has a rad back story.

Engine for both below:

Cheers

Hood Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Car Blue Grille Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Little update… went to the ANRA opener in Bakersfield this weekend. Was a great time with the new travel set up. Everything went well. Ran two classes, Hot Rod and the 11.60. I ended up losing in the quarters of Hot Rod with a red light of -.007 and, I ended up winning the 11.60 class. Car ran well…

Cheers!

On another note…. This was the first full race I’ve been at with the installed ET Genie. I had four rounds of qualifying to get to my number. Off the trailer with it wide open I ran an 11.37. By the fourth round I ran an 11.62 to qualify 5th in the 11.60 index. Worked as advertised…. Just passing along a product review.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Car

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Little more fun update…. Raced again this week and got runner up in my class. Hot weekend here on the west coast. Car did great. Wife and I were talking and the car will be coming apart after the last race in November to do body work and paint. Will work thru the year next year to get it done hopefully by the same race in Vegas ‘23.
Cheers!!
Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel

Hood Sports equipment Sports gear Helmet Automotive design

Vehicle Car Sky Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm building a 64 C10 for nostalgia racing, and I am using a Willy's adjustable restrictor plate, as so much of the nostalgia stuff in index racing. Congrats on your results.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Haven’t done much on the car lately. Worked today on the front bumper but it’s raining here now so the primer won’t get done today. Have the VIVID Chrome wrap waiting for the install. Guess it’s another week off. Race coming up in mid August, so I have some work to do. Haha.
Cheers!!

Edit: hahah. I guess I failed to mention… I got fiberglass front and rear bumper. I’m doing the bodywork to them and will be chrome wrapping them to look factory…. Have never done a wrap, so it should be fun to learn.
I also got the bottom of the rear seat covered. Still have the back of the seat to do. It will match the front TMI seats.
Ok…. As you were. Haha. Guess I need to do updates more often, even I forget what I do.

Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Bumper

White Hood Automotive lighting Sleeve Automotive tire

Hood Trunk Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Rectangle Composite material Gas Electric blue Auto part

Material property Gas Electric blue Composite material Rectangle

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk Motor vehicle

Shoe Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Chair

41 - 60 of 61 Posts