Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 SS, 496 in progress. 18 BMW M3 "rocketship". 88 F150 5.0 5 speed lowrider. 14 RAM Crew 4x4
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting on a 454 based 496 in my 66 and things are running a little behind. I've made many many other changes such as transmission, fueling, cooling... pretty much everything mechanical has been replaced. I have a cross country trip planned this summer and I'm trying to have as many things ready as possible when the engine arrives.

I still have my 396 and was thinking about sticking it back in there and using it for things such as driveshaft measurement, radiator hose fitment, fuel lines (I'd of course put my new EFI intake on the 396 block) and anything else I can think of.

Should I expect measurements to be the same?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Do the heads you used on the 496 have raised exhaust ports? That will change exhaust fitment. Externally the blocks will have the same dimensions unless like Dave noted, you used a tall deck block.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
IF the exhaust ports are raised see if you can put some washers under the head to deck surface (with some head bolts or studs holding it in place) to simulate a raised port.

·
Registered
66 SS, 496 in progress. 18 BMW M3 "rocketship". 88 F150 5.0 5 speed lowrider. 14 RAM Crew 4x4
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the new block has 840 heads?? Can't remember for sure. It's a standard deck height block as well.

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
With those heads on the 396 block - they are same exact dimensions and interchangeable.

Reactions: TX66SS

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With those heads on the 396 block - they are same exact dimensions and interchangeable.
That's what I thought. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts